95 850GLT threatening stall

Hi all,

My 1995 850GLT w/ about 220K did something weird last night: shortly after pulling away from a red light (and with the engine warm) the throttle started acting weird: the car would idle fine but if I gave it any gas it would bog down and threaten to stall (engine coughing and sputtering).

Once I backed off the gas it would wheeze a bit and then return to normal idle.

Under the hood I repeated the experience by twisting the throttle body and nearly stalling. Then, suspecting an air issue, I gave the accordion hose leading from the airbox to the throttle body a squeeze and the engine revs shot up to 2500 (as reported by the passenger) and then settled back to normal idle. After that it worked fine.

So my question is: does this sound like something that might happen in connection with the adjacent MAF sensor or are its symptoms completely different? Is there something else I should pay close attention to or inspect now in the light of day?

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

I've seen this behavior with a bad fuel pump relay, there was enough residual pressure to idle, but let in any more air and it leans out and stalls.

Squeezing the air hose causing the RPM to increase is odd though, first thing I would do is check carefully for splits in any plumbing between the air mass meter and throttle body, and look for vacuum hoses that have cracked or otherwise fallen off. The car is old enough for things like that to start happening.

Reply to
James Sweet

sounds like broken motor mounts.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Well I took it all apart and found nothing. I guess it was just a weird hiccough in the system. I think I'm swapping the car for a 1996

850 Turbo anyway so hopefully it'll be someone else's problem to figure out.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp