'96 850 A/C Compressor Clutch

Fellow Listers:

I started hearing a rasping, metallic noise from the area around the alternator. Suspecting same, the belt was removed, so that each component could be rotated freely, to determine the source of the noise. The alternator checked out and so did the idlers. When the A/C compressor was rotated, it seemed to be binding slightly, although it couldn't be rotated fast enough to detect noise.

It seems to be the compressor clutch may be bad. Is this a common problem? If so, I'd like to get a clutch, but NOT from the dealer; rather, I'm looking for an aftermarket source, even a used one.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Reply to
Dan Behr