Snow Tires on Rims

I have a 2001 Volvo S40, and want to put on snow tires with rims, apparently these rims are only available from a Volvo dealer and cannot be purchased from a local garage or 3rd party.

I would think that the Rims on a Volvo S40 would be standard as they would be on any other car. What's so special about a Volvo tire rims anyways?

Anyone else run into this issue of not being able to put standard 15 inch rims on their Volvo S40?

Would appreciate your comments back.

thanks Steve.

Reply to
SMerck

That's just a fairytale that the dealer spreads so that you pay him big bucks for HIS rims.

Not sure if you're looking for alloy rims or just basic steel rims, but in either case, I know places like

carry such rims, and I'm sure there are many places in Canada that carry them too. TireRack sells new 15" steel wheels for the S40 for $35 each.

I'm running 16" winter wheels on our V40, because my dad already bought a set of 16" winter tires, so we had to look for 16" rims. Unfortunately, they don't make 16" steel rims for the S40/V40, so we had to buy 16" alloys, but even then, we certainly did not buy them from a Volvo dealer as it would have cost us an arm and a leg.

The one thing you need to make sure though if you buy aftermarket is that you also get centering rings and nuts, if different from stock. Usually, if a rim shop knows what they're doing, they'll give you all the proper hardware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I second the

idea. Ordered from them a couple of times. Great price/quality/fit both times. You'll save a bunch over the dealer prices, even with shipping.

Reply to
line123

Thanks! much appreciated. Steve.

Reply to