960 Won't Start

I was told that my 960's battery's light was on all night a few nights ago. I went out and the car was dead. We tried to jump the car but we couldn't get it to crank. Once, a tiny little sound came out but it never followed through into a real start. The battery lost its charge later.

Later the battery tested yellow twice so I purchased a brand-new one. I put it in and got the same results as before. This time the charge didn't die but I still couldn't get it to crank. I can hear the starter (or something from the front left) clicking but nothing revs.

I've checked all the fuses for burnouts (it would LOOK blown out, right?) but can't see anything and don't get results when I switch them around.

The car was in PERFECT condition until a few nights ago. I have no idea what is going on. I have a small suspicion that somehow not enough energy is getting to the starter (NOT that it, itself, has a problem) and so it's just not firing but I don't know what cables, etc to check to confirm or reject this.

What else can I check? Has anyone ever had this experience? We've got finals this week and my job requires transit. I'm dying here....

Thanks.

Reply to
dbmallory

Nothing jumps right out at me, but the starter circuit per se is a simple enough one. If the tranny is automatic, try it in neutral to see if it works that way.

As far as wiring, there is a possibility the engine is not well connected to the battery negative terminal. You can connect a jumper cable from battery negative (-) to the engine block to see if that is the problem.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi;

Jumping the Battery to the Block doe not count for the lights failing too.

If you have a multimeter then measure the battery terminal voltage while someone else starts the engine. If the voltage drops then its the battery - New or Old.

If the battery voltage does not drop - then try the meter on the lights or somewhere handy to find where the bad connection is.

Put the meter on the battery - not its terminals.

Has the starter motor jammed? That may be causing an awfull lot of power through it - thus causing serious voltage drops in its circuit. Listen carefully near the starter motor, you may get some hints by clicks and clunks.

Regards Ian

Reply to
ian

Make sure everything is connected and that your battery wires are not cracked, broken, or loose. If your starter is clicking, it's getting some power - but perhaps not enough to turn the engine.

If you are sure your battery is good, check all the wires and maybe give the starter a light tapping with the handle of a screwdriver if it's stuck. Not sure if Volvo has a solenoid that might also be sticking.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Is the cam belt ok? "Jamie" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...