97 850GLT air injection pump bad again??

My secondary air injection pump was already replaced once (a year or two ago). Now it's sounding like a blender full of rocks when it runs. So far the Check Engine light hasn't come on, so I guess it's still working. Is there any way to lubricate or service it somehow? If it's failing again, is there any generic air pump that will work, or must I buy the $600 Volvo model? Anything that costs that much should be designed to last for many years, but I wouldn't be too upset about paying (say) $50 or $100 for a new generic pump every couple of years. Thanks.

Reply to
L David Matheny

A little more than a year ago mine started to make noise (98 V70). I took it off, there doesn't seem to be any way to dissemble it without destroying it. I filled the air pump section with transmission fluid in the hopes some would get into the bearing. I let it sit overnight, then reinstalled. It's still noisy, but still functional. Also the check valve, the one that's supposed to close the path from pump to exhaust was not closing properly. This allows condensation to collect in the pump, which ruins it. As a final measure, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the pump to allow any water that did get in to drain out.

Reply to
Mike F