AIR PUMP : 96Jetta : $$

1996 Jetta, 130K Miles. I just spent $680 to fix ignition electrial system.

I went home but the Check Engine light was still on. They say the light's on due to the "air pump" not working and want $480 for a new air pump +$150 for labor.

Am I getting ripped off? How about a used Air Pump since my car is getting older.

Reply to
Tobias McNultey

What engine are you referring to? And are you talking about the Secondary Air Pump? Check it's fuse and relay first. There also may be a valve (or two) in the sytem along with hoses. Do you have a Bentley for your Jetta? The ross-tech.com tool will help you find that problem and more like understanding the check engine light. :-) The tool helped me when I had trouble with the Secondary Air Pump on a 97 Passat VR6. But you can check the fuse for power and also remove the relay and jumper the correct terminals. ALWAYS CHECK THE PUMP BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A NEW ONE!!!

dave

I've read where a person replaced just the bearings on the pump. However that requires the pump being good other then the bad bearings and the person's ability to replace them. Don't expect a repair shop to do this, there's too much that can go wrong and they would have to warranty it. What did they do for $680???

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to