98 S70 Lambda sensor post crash...

Greetings from Australia

My Wife's S70 (118000 kilometres) was involved in a prang some two months ago and the repairs are still not finalised. She got it back and found that the Lambda sensor warning light was on, and the error codes were checked by a firm not associated with the repair company.

My question is how sensitive are these sensors and do they tolerate being fiddled with? The light was not on before the accident where the car suffered left hand damage after a car failed to give way through a round about collecting the car on the left hand passenger door back to the rear quarter panel.

What could have caused the sensor to fail? Coincidence? Incompetence? The accident?

Look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Cheers

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

If the lambda signal is lit in the instrument panel it means that atleast one error code is stored in the ECU memory. The error code can be many things, one of the a faulty lambda sond, but there are houndreds of other errors it can be. When you readout the error codes you know what error you have, and if you can get its number its easier to help.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

On 7/4/04 10:01 PM, in article 4073ed92$0$143$ snipped-for-privacy@dread11.news.tele.dk, "Niels Bengaard" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Had it read.

Out of spec sensor, fuel pressure high something else. Had it reset but comes back on.

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

If the workshop can read the error codes they can fix the problem too. It doesnt help to reset the errors if you dont fix the errors first.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

On 8/4/04 6:38 PM, in article 40750fa3$0$129$ snipped-for-privacy@dread11.news.tele.dk, "Niels Bengaard" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

I agree, but you are missing the point of my initial post.

Has anyone had one of these sensors "go bad" after a collision?

I wasn't sure if it happened at the repair shop (as my wife has had to take the car back 4 times now to get things that were fixed, fixed). Can having the lead off the sensor, or not following a set protocol for its removal cause damage? Or, would have the initial accident (and subsequent and violent rotation over median strips and gutters before coming to rest) have some impact on the sensor? That is, how delicate are these sensors?

Cheers

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

I havent seen anywhere that your error codes concern the lambda sonds. If it should be a lambda sond the only thing that can be damaged in a crash or when repairing a crashed car is the wiring, unless the sensor has been removed and reinstalled in a new exhaust. The sensor is not that easy to break. If it has damage that can be seen on it that could be a problem too.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

I'm in agreement with resetting the code, and see if the problem returns before doing any repair, assuming that the engine has no noticeable running problems. You never know why a code is there, and it doesn't cost anything to reset and wait. Obviously if the code comes right back, then there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Reply to
Mike F