Leaking fuel tank following repair by insurers

For how this started see

Anyway - car was repaired (by insurer's preferred garage, which is owned by the insurer and I believe, only does accident/insurance work) and returned to me today. It was driven from the garage at Aldershot to Guildford (where I live and work) where they picked up the courtesy car and returned.

When the car was dropped off this afternoon at work, everything looked great - car was repaired and looking nice - however there was a strong smell of petrol whilst standing around doing the paperwork. I just assumed the guy had been doing some petrol work on another car. I think I remember seeing the petrol gauge somewhere/anywhere between empty and 1/4 full.

This evening (3 hours later?) I left work and got inthe car. Still a strong smell of petrol. Started car and noticed fuel light was on. I guessed that it might be as I was on a bit of a slope, but also figured it must just be low. I drove a mile or two across town (nearly home) and popped into a petrol station on my way. Still smelled of petrol. Opened bonnet and looked/smelled - nothing. No smell from new wing (which I wondered if the smell was lacquer etc) - no odor at all. Decided to put in 1/2 a tank - normally do a full tank - but wasn't sure of the petrol smell. Didn't want to do a 1/4 as I'd end up filling up again soon - so settled on about 1/2 (=A326).

Went in and paid. Came back to car and noticed petrol was draining out the tank onto the forecourt. Spoke to the garage staff who helped push the car round the back and they put sand down. I phoned the garage who did the work (just before 6pm!) and spoke to the workshop manager who said they'd pick up the car that evening and drop off another courtesy car. They were surprised to hear of the problem, suggested it was a coincidence/unrelated as they'd not worked on the rear (just minor front end damage) - but they'd have a look at it tomorrow and advise. Shortly after 6:30pm, car on back of truck arrives and (different) guy has a look - checks that it was front end damage that it was in for, and then swaps the cars over.

Just for information, the car is a 1998/S Peugeot 306, 1.4l petrol. The fuel was running down to the bottom corner of the tank below the filler. It was coming from somewhere behind the plastic liner to the wheel arch - outside of where I could see.

To be honest, I can't imagine how they could have damaged the tank/pipework to make it leak like that. I'm guessing they'll say it's unrelated to what they've done - and to be honest - I'd believe them. However, it does seem very strange that it was fine when it left, and came back smelling of petrol.

The work they've done is replace a wing and the metal work connecting the two wings, and the plastic skirt/trim at the front. No apparent work at the rear apart from a good clean.

I'm also a little concerned that they might try billing me for collecting the car, and for the courtesy car, and then for repairs etc. So far, no mention has been made that I'll be charged anything - although they it was inferred that it might not be their fault (which implies I'd need to pay for the repairs). There is small print on the reverse of the courtesy car details sheet saying I'm required to pay their standard rates from time to time for the car which cannot be reclaimed from 3rd parties etc - which I guess they could use to get the money for the car. They've never mentioned a daily charge either.

The guy who collected the car on the truck, did say to keep the petrol receipt - I guess suggesting that if it was their fault, then they'd refund the cost of the lost petrol maybe?

The car managed to drive from Aldershot to Guildford (20 minutes on 50+ roads?). There's nothing to suggest they filled with petrol, and it was around 1/4 or less when they collected it a week or so ago (and drove it to Aldershot) - so I can only assume the leak started today - OR - they're aware of the leak and filled it up before dropping it off (suggesting it was their damage). But to be honest, I can't imagine anyone knowingly driving a car which has a steady stream of petrol coming out the bottom!

Any thoughts as to what might have happened? Leak appears to come from an area of the tank which isn't accessible - so not an obvious thing of something stuck through it - although that's not to say pressure wasn't put on the tank (incorrect lifting?), causing a crack elsewhere?

All very strange (and potentially costly after paying the excess etc!)

Thanks

david.hearn.uk

When the car was dropped off this afternoon at work, everything looked great - car was repaired and looking nice - however there was a strong smell of petrol whilst standing around doing the paperwork. I just assumed the guy had been doing some petrol work on another car. I think I remember seeing the petrol gauge somewhere/anywhere between empty and 1/4 full.

This evening (3 hours later?) I left work and got inthe car. Still a strong smell of petrol. Started car and noticed fuel light was on. I guessed that it might be as I was on a bit of a slope, but also figured it must just be low. I drove a mile or two across town (nearly home) and popped into a petrol station on my way. Still smelled of petrol. Opened bonnet and looked/smelled - nothing. No smell from new wing (which I wondered if the smell was lacquer etc) - no odor at all. Decided to put in 1/2 a tank - normally do a full tank - but wasn't sure of the petrol smell. Didn't want to do a 1/4 as I'd end up filling up again soon - so settled on about 1/2 (£26).

[...]

this does sound like a possible coincidence but could also be that the car has been jacked up incorrectly as you suggest. As the tank is quite a soft 'waxy' plastic then any jack mark on the bottom would be very obvious and also virtually impossible to disguise so if the bodyshop denies liability then go and collect your car and ask them to put the car on a ramp to show you where the problem is and to prove that the tank is ok. (Most decent repairers will be happy to do this for you as it will prove their point).

As for paying for the hire car this clause is generally there to help enforce prompt return of their car after the job is finnished and most repairers will not charge you for a day or two whilst they check a problem which may be their fault!

Reply to
radar