A 240 observation

This is unscientific but in myobservations at the local Pickn'Pull wreckers,

240 Volvos of any age are mostly automatics. The last several times (over several months) I look in all the 240's, maybe 8 to 15 are there each time.One of the items I'm looking to put in my back pocket is a clutch pedal cover. I look in all the 240's. Its maybe just a few times that the cover is there but worn out (like mine)and not worth taking.Of course that worries me and why I want to get a new pedal cover pronto. At least its not an automatic. Is the automatic that much of a weakness for volvo that once towed they're disposable? Fortunately the other parts I need are avialable there.
Reply to
Rojo2G

I tried to sell a reasonable condition auto 240DL saloon and couldn't. Everyone asked for the estate, shied away from the saloon and threw their hands in the air at the thought of a 240 saloon auto. It's the manual Estate version that sells..... In the end I got £60 from the car auction for it.

les

Rojo2G wrote:

Reply to
Les & Claire

Cars don't really wear out so much as it's not seen as worth it to spend $12-1500 on a new transmission. So you see a lot of automatics in junkyards. Most anything that has a manual transmission and isn't a pile of rust is still on the road somewhere.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Man. I need to...

How much does it cost to import a car? I hear about used cars going for literally nothing over there.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Of all the 2** and 7** Volvos I've owned over the past 15 years, I've had a manual, several autos, several estates and a saloon. My favourite combination was the auto saloon. Alas, the saloon ceased to be practical in my lifestyle, so estates it is for now, and as long as I can keep on top of any rattles that crop up in the back I'm very happy with it.

The 4 speed + overdrive manual gearbox that I had was 'orrible after the autos, so I won't be having another one of them if I can help it.

It's all personal preference, of course, and mine are probably not representative of many - after all, I actually *liked* the B27 I had.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

The US auto buying public buys well over 90% automatic transmission equipped vehicles in the vehicle class the 240 was in. Volvo sold very few manual transmission 240s in the US, which is why you see few in the 'yards.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Why would you even want a used pedal pad? You can buy a brand new one for about $6. I ordered a set of Scan-Tech reproduction pads for mine a few months ago, much nicer than the old ones.

From what I've seen, pre-83-ish 240's were about 50/50 manual/automatics. Beyond that they're about 80% auto. Late model manuals are somewhat hard to find and desireable, but it's not too hard to convert one one way or the other.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well the problem is the steering wheel would be on the wrong side and the headlights would have the wrong beam pattern... Seems like used parts from there would be cheap though.

Reply to
James Sweet

They seem to show up in the yards in batches, I'll go months and only see one or two manual 240's, then one day there'll be half a dozen of them and a few manual 740's as well. A few months ago there were 3 M47 5 speed equipped cars there all at once.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm tight about things like that. Squeezing pennies there and paying the folding cash to the mechanic when I have to. I never thought that there may be more automatics sold in the u. s. Thanks everyone for enlightening me. Rojo

Reply to
Rojo2G

I believe Sweden drives on the same side of the road we do, and builds their cars accordingly.

Reply to
PButler111

Yes but the poster to whom these chaps were replying is not in Sweden but somewhere in the UK where the steering wheel would be on the wrong side and the headlights would have the wrong beam pattern.

Could still use most of the parts though no doubt.

Reply to
David Taylor

The headlights could be fixed, though, and right-hand drive is not illegal in the U.S.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Aren't we talking about someone in the UK?

IIRC cars in Sweden hold their value pretty well, you're correct also that they would be appropriate for driving in the US.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not illegal, but not exactly convenient either. My dad had an old Jag when I was a kid that was right-hand drive, made going through drive throughs a pain, and it was a bit scary turning at some interesections.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yeah but between paying a wrecking yard a couple bucks for a used one (or even just pocketing it) I have to wonder if you have so much free time that it's worth the trouble to save a few bucks when you could have a nice set of brand new matching ones shipped to your door for the cost of a decent pizza and about 5 minutes of effort?

Reply to
James Sweet

mmmmmmmm........pizza!!!!!!

Reply to