a/c problem on 850

i have a problem with my a/c. when i switch it on, the clutch engages for only a couple of seconds and stop then start up again in a couple of seconds. this continues until i switch it off. what seems to be the problem. i read from other post that it may be the superheat switch and that i can bypass this without a problem.

should i bypass the switch, if so, where the heck is is. if not, then what else should i do or what else is wrong?

Reply to
sfpd public affairs

Sounds like that. The switch itself is the white connector coming from the clutch of the compres. to the car's wiring harness. REMOVE THAT CONNECTOR and reconnect the wires (with a weathertight connection, of course). Should do it.

You can see the wires for this job from above when looking down; near the radiator on the pass. side. ~~~ Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt on the Iraqi "wedding" that was attacked - 'There may have been some kind of celebration. Bad people have celebrations, too.'

My eBay Stuff:

John in NH

The next step is to test the pressures in the system. An A/C mechanic is probably what you need :(.

John

Reply to
John Horner

On the 850 it is a expensive repair most shops charge 8 Hours to replace the evaporator

Reply to
G Klein

I had a quote for mine from a company that had just gained their a/c franchise. They quoted me £350 and something like 6 to 8 hours.

3 days later they still had the car and were still working on it.

Didn't bother me, I got the quote in writing which is legally binding in the UK.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

If the a/c clutch is cycling from cold straight away thenit is NOT the overheat switch on the compressor- you are short of gas and the low pressure switch is cutting the compressor out. You need a recharge.

If however the a/c runs normally for several minutes, then cuts out and needs 10or so mins before it comes back to life then definately suspect the overheat switch.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I have the same problem with my T5. I'd like to bypass the switch, can anyone direct me to it, and is it easily done?

Reply to
barry

What do you mean by same problem? If the A/C is cool but not cold, compressor is cycling with the period measured in seconds, then the problem is most likely low refrigerant. If the A/C works fine for a few minutes, then not at all for 10 minutes or so, then the problem could be the superheat switch on the compressor.

The superheat switch is on the back side of the compressor. You need to join the 2 wires going into it together. The best way is to follow both wire to a connection about 6" (15 cm) away, disconnect the superheat switch wires and connect the 2 other wires together. (The connectors will just plug into each other.) Do not remove the superheat switch, as the refrigerant will come blasting out. Note that the design idea of the superheat switch was to save the compressor from overheating, it's setting is too low, causing the compressor to turn off when there's really no problem.

Another problem is that the A/C works fine for a while - typically 30 minutes or more - then cuts out and doesn't work until the car has cooled off. This is usually caused by the gap in the compressor clutch being too large, and the magnetic force is not enough to engage the clutch. (Removing the superheat switch from the circuit as described above will help this problem, as it will increase the voltage available to the clutch a small amount.) Others have used the wire going to the clutch to engage a relay that is fed power directly from the battery.

Reply to
Mike F

Mine did that in my 960 a week or two ago, it was out of R-134, evaporator is permeating the refrigerant out, slowly over the course of a year.

The tech said the 850's A/C system is much more trouble prone then the

960's, which is bad news for you... Hopefully it isn't too costly (A/C is either cheap, or super expensive).
Reply to
Rob Guenther