87 SUPRA A/C COMPRESSOR STOP WORKING

I install a new a/c compressor on a supra 87 no turbo, 30 mintes later the A/C clutch stop working , I look the fuse behind the right kick panel and look ok; I dont know what could be the problem.

Any Help?

Reply to
dario

Try unplugging the wire from the clutch and touching it directly to the positive battery terminal. If nothing happens you have a bad clutch. If you hear a loud CLICK then you have problems in your wiring - possibly a fusible link.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Before you installed the new AC compressor, how long was the previous one broken and how long was the system exposed to the atmosphere? If the system was exposed to the atmosphere for more than an hour or so, the desiccant in the receiver/drier is probably saturated.

When you re-charged the system, did you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump beforehand? Did you check the system for leaks?

If the AC stops working after 30 minutes but starts working again after sitting for a while, there is probably moisture in the system, and a proper fix is to change the receiver/drier, evacuate the system, and then re-charge. You will need a vacuum pump and a set of AC gauges to do this job or better yet, have it done professionally.

If you apply power to the compressor clutch and it engages, look at the sight glass on top of the receiver/drier and see if you see foam. If you see anything but what appears to be clear water flowing past the sight glass, the system is probably under-charged.

Do NOT over-charge the system or you can ruin the compressor.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes if connect directly to the battery it will work hear a loud CLICK , my problem is no power going to clutch, I check the 10A fuse behind the right kick panel it fine, dont know what could be the problem

Reply to
dario

Improper pressure in the system. There are switches that detect high and low pressure, and either case will disable the system to prevent it from hurting itself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What Ray said ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There is a relay for the compressor clutch located in the passenger kick panel. There is a 'dual pressure switch' for the compressor clutch located low on the passenger fender skirt that opens below 30psi or over 380psi. (Safety & cycle)

GL Dan

oh, the other pressure switch closes at closes at about 250psi for the condenser fan.

Reply to
Danny G.

thanks to all for the super help...

Danny G. wrote: