auto transmission leak 240DL

We have '88 240DL with automatic transmission leak, on right side of car in-line with front door hinges, and dripping on exhaust system. We are hoping this is something relatively minor like cooling lines to the radiator. Preparing to take car to hospital :-) Any ideas appreciated. TIA rich

Reply to
Rich

The cooling lines to the radiator are a good guess, I've seen them crack right where they bolt to the frame near the location you say it's leaking. Normally only shows up when the car is running and in gear so it can be tricky to locate when parked.

Reply to
James Sweet

There's a bracket/separator on the transmission/bell housing that hold the two lines separated and secure at the same time. However, over time the tubes vibrated in the bracket, abrade away and leak.

Bob

Reply to
User

That's just what it is. Now how to get it to the repair shop. Family thinking of driving it, stopping to refill the xmission. Hope they tow it, still a good car, not to chance more trouble. thanks rich

Reply to
Rich

The easiest quick and dirty repair is to remove the bracket, cut out the bad section(s) of pipe and shove some 5/16" (8mm) oil resistant hose over the pipe and hose clamp it on both ends. Many of the chain transmission shops still do this to avoid the risk of twistinf off lines that are rusted solid at the transmission.

Bob

Reply to
User

Interesting thought, maybe the repair guy will do that. But maybe not, he is a purist. Actually I thought there was a lot of pressure in that line. But maybe it's not that high. TNX rich

Reply to
Rich

It's not terribly high, I did exactly that, lasted about 8 years before I yanked the slushbox and stuck in a 5 speed.

Reply to
James Sweet