Automatic transmission doesn't change-up

Dear Sirs, my Volvo 940 - 1994 automatic transmission was recently serviced and a new gasket kit replacement done and oil filled. However, now the automatic gear doesn't change-up. It sticks in the 2nd gear only.

The workshop is now recommending a transmission box overhaul!

Need your help. I want a checklist or a guide to go thru with the mechanic before I spend anymore money.

Any assistance is appreciated.

thanks.

Reply to
Johnson Luqaz

Mike F

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Mike F"

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Opening the throttle pulls the cable out of the transmission. If the cable sticks (the return spring inside the transmission is not very strong), then the part of the cable near the throttle pulley is very slack at idle. Then the transmission "thinks" that the engine is running at a high power setting, and delays upshifting. At light throttle, it seems that the transmission won't upshift.

Reply to
Mike F

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Mike F"

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Dear Sirs, thank you for your comments. It seems I still need your valued assistance...

The problem started when I was driving my car and started losing 'drive'. The car was acting like the 'worn out clutch' in a manual car. It was making a whining noise and it was slowing down going up inclines. I got worried so I pulled over. When I stopped the car, I found that I had to rev really high to move the car again. So I shifted to N, waited for a minute, shifted into D, the car was not moving at all. I was on flat road.

I was really worried. I had not replaced the transmission oil in a while although I checked that the oil level was OK. After I waited for about half hour, I started the car, shifted into D and it moved normally. I drove to a service outlet nearby and had them replace the transmission oil. I drove away and about 3 km away the whining noise started again going up a gradual incline and I started losing 'drive' again.

I drove the car home and the next day being a Sunday, relatively traffic free. I drove the car over to the mechanic's workshop. By the time I was reaching the mechanic's workshop about 15 km away the transmission was acting-up again.

The mechanic mentioned that oil might be 'dirty' and he will need to service the valve body. Servicing the valve body means that he will need to replace the gaskets, so the gasket kit was purchased, replacement done and new oil filled.

I went to him with your suggestions. He promptly informed me that he has replaced the transmission oil and that in fact no matter the rev, the gear doesn't up-shift from 1st gear and not 2nd gear as earlier mentioned.

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks.

Reply to
Johnson Luqaz

I don't think there's any doubt now... you need a new transmission. There are dozens of good used ones around.

Reply to
Mike F