Volvo S70 '99: ETS light and engine problems

My ETS warning light came on after driving through the cold weather for
about 5 minutes tonight (F 10 degrees). After a couple of minutes the
Check Engine sign also came on and the engine started to sputter.
Overall, the engine now fluctuates between 900 RMP and 1300 RMP when idle.
In addition, the engine won't run any faster than 3000-3500 RMP while also
not running smoothly when taking the foot of the accelerator.
Reply to
sasha12
"sasha12" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
Turbo?? Sounds like a turbo hose has popped off. If not turbo it can be a major vacuum leak.
//Erik
Reply to
Erik Lidén
Thanks for your quick response. It is not a turbo and I brought the vehicle to a Volvo dealership this morning given that I didn't trust the vehicle to run many more miles in this condition. They came back to me this afternoon indicating that the full throttle unit needs replacement (plus software download) at a cost of $1102. That seems like a lot of money as the car was running ok this morning -- after spending the night in a garage with above freezing temperatures. Unfortunately, teh ETS light is still on. Is there anything short of replacing the entire throttle unit that I could do or experiment with (i.e., cleaning of unit, etc.)? Thanks in advance, Jens
Reply to
sasha12
Mike/Erik, List of error codes looks rather extensive: ECM 532-D, ECM 914-F, ECM 916-O, ECM91A7, and ECM91B-7. What do you think?
Reply to
sasha12
Rough Estimate the electronic throttle module cost about $550.00 add another $10.00 for the gasket & $30.00 For the software then figure your dealers labor rate were I work is $94.00 per hour I do not know the labor time of hand for your S70 since it is a turbo it takes a little more time then if it was a non turbo due to the location of throttle unit then tax on top of that the other choice is to find a qualified Volvo repair shop not the dealer & ask them for a quote for the repair & see if it is in line with the dealers price given you. This is not a do it your self project since the new throttle module will not work without software Glenn ASE Certified Volvo Technician
Reply to
Glenn Klein
The ECM 91xx codes you post all "Throttle unit internal fault". The 532D code is "throttle unit has requested the check engine light". I would try cleaning the throttle unit as in the bulletin posted below, and see what happens.
Reply to
Mike F

Site Timeline Threads