my automatic transmission starts out in 4th gear

The 4 speed automatic transmission in my 92 Accord starts out in 4th gear and has no passing gear "kick down". If I manually shift from

1st thru 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th, it runs fine. I just replaced the original transmission with 330k on it, which began doing the same thing and then died. The one I just installed came out of a car with 170k on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Can this be caused from a sensor or trnsmission control unit or does something need reprogramming? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply to
dennis

transmission control unit. should have check that first.

Reply to
jim beam