Avoid Major Oil Companies!

Subject: AVOID major oil companies!

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"

> campaign that was going around last April or May! >> >> The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't >> continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. >> >> It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. >> >> BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can >> really work. Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably >> thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is >> currently $2.43 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil >> companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the >> cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take >> aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market >> place....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, >> we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the >> price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not >> purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. >> >> HOW? >> >> Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN >> have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price >> war. >> >> Here's the idea: >> >> For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the TWO >> BIGGEST COMPANIES (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not >> selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they >> reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. >> >> But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and >> Mobil gas buyers. >> >> It's really simple to do!! >> >> Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll >> explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! >> >> I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to >> at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least >> ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches >> the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION >> consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten >> friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! >> >> If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION >> PEOPLE!!! >> >> Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. >> >> How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten >> more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could >> conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! >> >> I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! >> Acting together we can make a difference. >> >> If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. >> >> PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE >> >> $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. >> >> THIS CAN REALLY WORK. >> >> Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator Interventional Cardiology >> Research Laboratories Division of Cardiovascular Diseases 932 >> >> Ziegler Research Bldg >> >> 703 South 19th Street >> >> University of Alabama @ B'ham >> >> hmmm...might be worth a try, folks....nothing else has worked... Get on >> board???? >> >> The most beautiful things in the world are not seen or touched. They are >> felt with the heart

The novelist George Eliot once said that "it is never too late to become what you might have been."

Reply to
Ralf

That's not how Snopes sees it, and I agree - it would only make the situation worse:

Michael Pardee

A little thought might help.

If you boycott the major oil brands, they will sell their refined gas to the minor oil distributors.

just business, you know.

The only ones you hurt will be the franchisees who own the local filling stations.

Into the living sea of waking

And they'll laugh at this one too, the oil all comes from the same few places, the only way to hurt the oil companies is to consume less of the product. Don't like the price of gas, don't drive a car, it's that simple.

Reply to
James Sweet

what you might have been."

Reply to
John Robertosn

Still HALF the price of petrol in the UK so whats your worry?

Reply to
Andy

the only way to "exercise our muscle" as consumers, is to pick carefully what, where, and how much of a product we buy...If everyone cuts back, say 25% (on gas)...we could put a real "dent" in the demand for oil....Its about the only power folks have in a oil based economy.....imho...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

We tend to think of America's cars, small trucks and SUVs as being the lion's share of oil consumption. Although it is the largest single category, it is less than half the US oil consumption.

A whole lot of oil is used in heating and commercial transportation - trucks, trains, airplanes, ships.... And although the US is the largest importer of oil, it isn't the only importer of oil. Since US gasoline is only about 1/9 of the world production
reducing that by 25% affects world oil demand less than 3% - hardly a bump in the landscape. If every gasoline vehicle in the US were taken off the road altogether, world demand would be cut a scant 11%.Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

What a bunch of idiots. If enough people reduce their consumption of fuel the cost will come down, but selective purchasing from particular companies or on particular days is not going to due a darn thing.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Except drive prices up across the board due to increased overhead in shifting resources around to fuel stations people are buying from.

Of course in the real world only a small percentage of people are stupid enough to try to attempt such a scheme so there'll be no real effect.

Reply to
James Sweet

A note to the real idiots, The real morons are those who sit by and accept oil company price rip offs without question. President Bush said he would have zero tolerance for price gougers as a result of the storm, guess Oil Company's and energy providers in general are exempt?

Dale P.........

Reply to
dale_peterson

The oil companies gouge, no question about it, but what's anyone to do? Seriously, they know people need oil, they'll laugh at any silly schemes that people come up with because they know they'll have no effect. Government regulation is the only way to make a difference and that won't happen because so many in the upper government made their fortunes from oil.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hmmm, supply goes down, price goes up. Economics 101.

The problem isn't the oil companies, the problem is that people keep increasing their consumption.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Correct, and our bargain gasoline is one reason why the roads are infested with 3-ton 15 MPG unstable fatmobiles. Personally, I wouldn't mind if gas prices climbed to around $4.00 per gallon, and stayed there, which should reduce consumption.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Reply to
Doug Warner

"The problem isn't the oil companies, the problem is that people keep increasing their consumption. "

i agree...demand must drop before prices will change.....conservation, new technology, whatever....if demand drops say 25%...the prices will retreat...imho.....(easy to say, hard to do).........

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

As we have an expanding economy, demand can't go down - it will only go up. The problem isn't the amount of oil (imho) the crude oil price have been driven up by speculators. The challange is refining capacity and the hundred different gas formulations that the too few refineries have to produce.

Reply to
Dano

Dano,

Maybe the stock speculators make up for the energy costs with their dividends. Maybe a reduction in energy stock trading would slow down the escalating price of energy. Just a thought?

Dale P..........

Reply to
dale_peterson

Dano..>>

"As we have an expanding economy, demand can't go down - it will only go up"....

are you sporting a pair of crystal balls??

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

A better, similar idea is the "buycott" currently in progress. Instead of just avoiding the two biggest companies and buying from smaller ones that are often as bad, liberals and progressives are buying gas from CITGO only, because CITGO is owned by Venezuela. The government of Venezuela, while not ideal, is doing a lot to help the poor not just in their own country, but in Latin America in general. If this isn't enough for you, the Bush administration hates them. So if you aren't a "Bushie", consider 'buycotting' CITGO.

And yes, I realize that some CITGO stations buy oil from other sources. Most don't. We do what we can.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

They all will if nobody else buys the oil, it's a valuable commodity in a free market, it will be sold wherever people are buying it from the least expensive source.

Of course as I said earlier, most people can plainly see that this whole joke will accomplish nothing so the vast majority will get gas at the same places they always do for whatever reason they choose them, be it location, price, or some other silly preference.

Reply to
James Sweet