B230F engine crankshaft holding tool (5024) for sale/rent

Anyone who needs to change their timing belt on their 240 knows the manual calls for this tool. It engages the crankshaft pulley and holds the crankshaft while you loosen or tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt.

I'll send the tool to you if you send me $60. Keep it if you want. Or, if you return the tool to me undamaged, I'll send you back $35.

Jess

Reply to
J Ohlsson

Alternatively, for 0.10c, remove the plug from a cylinder that is half way after or before the top of its compression stroke (depending upon whether you are loosening or tightening the bolt), feed in a couple of feet of sash cord or electrical flex, then rotate the crank in the appropriate direction until it stops. Now you can apply the force needed to break/ final tighten the bolt.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Just make damn sure that it's on the compression stroke, otherwise it might bend a valve.

Reply to
James Sweet

Absolutely.

It's a technique I've used many times without problems. It also makes it possible to compress the valve spring and release the cotters without the need to take the head off, thus enabling valve stem oil seals to be replaced. You just need to contrive a lever and spacer to bear down on the top of the spring retainer.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav