B28F to B28E

Does anyone know what parts are needed to upgrade a B28F to a B28E? Is it just the fuel distributor and the Control Pressure Regulator that are different? Thanks, Rick

Reply to
devauxmidwest

I'd be curious to know all the details as well, but in the case of the redblocks the camshaft was different, compression ratio slightly higher, as well as the E had no catalyst.

Reply to
James Sweet

Right, camshafts and compression ratio were different as well. Honestly, this upgrade will not be worth the trouble.

Reply to
Mike F

You would be better off obtaining the same V6 from a Renault or Peugeot as they were available with turbo.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Were they available in north america? I know we got Renaults and Peugeots for a few years but they're pretty rare, I've only ever seen one that had a turbo.

Reply to
James Sweet

Do you have any Deloreans still? They used the same motor.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I've got a good running B28F in the car now. I think I can find most parts at wrecker yards if I only knew what parts I needed. I'd be willing to pay the shipping from the UK or Australia. The Deloreans have the same setup I have right now, KJet with Lambda Sond. There is a UK garage that will mod a Delorean to B28E specs without doing cams/pistons. They replace the fuel distributor, CPR and curve the ignition. I'm just trying to verify what parts I need (by part number)to make the F into an E. Thanks all!

Reply to
Volvo262

If they're not touching the cams or the pistons, they're not making the motor a B28E, period. More power maybe, but it's still not E spec.. nor is it going to be as significant an amount of power as a cam/piston swap.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

I've seen 2 or 3 of them over the last several years, they're pretty rare cars though. Same basic motor, but with enhancements that improved cylinder head oiling and performance.

Reply to
James Sweet

Right, when building a motor start with compression ratio, valve size/porting, camshaft profile, then the fuel and ignition are tuned to suit, not the other way around. If you can't get the air in and out, ignition and fuel aren't going to make much difference.

Reply to
Mike F

I appreciate all the input and see what you're saying. If one was silly enough to want to attempt this, what components/parts am I looking to get? Pistons, cams, valves or complete heads, intake manifold, fuel distributor, CPR? Keep the info coming please... Rick

Reply to
devauxmidwest

The place to start is the specs, look up the compression ratio, bore, stroke, etc for the B28E, find some cams from the E or the specs to have them ground and then go to a machine shop with your motor and have them build it to your spec, they'll likely be able to suggest some improvements, though I seriously doubt you'll ever push it to the level of even a mildly hopped up 4cyl turbo motor.

Reply to
James Sweet

And swapping to the turbo 4 will be less work, especially if you have a donor car handy for all those little bits that are always necessary.

Reply to
Mike F

Putting a four cylinder in isn't a consideration right now. I also want to keep the KJet for now. If I ever decide to go other than a B28/B280 then it will be a Chevy V8. Does anyone know if the headers made for an Alpine A310 will fit in a 262? Were there ever any headers made for the Renault

30 or Peugeot 604?
Reply to
devauxmidwest

I was told by a Volvo mechanic you can swap the inlet manifolds from a E verson onto an F version (just 4 bolds and a lot of hoses). Apart from the camshaft, you wil have at least 10 bhp extra. I will swap my B27E for a "new" B27E some time next year for the 262C.

All the best,

Martijn

244 144 262c V40 TD

Reply to
Martijn

What's different about the intake manifolds? I find it hard to believe that you'd get 10 hp just from doing that. Camshaft is the easiest way to get a dramatic change in personality of a N/A engine.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'll bet that they are longer. That's how they got extra power from the old inline six, anyway...

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Depends whether they're talking about the early model "Octopus" manifold versus the later cross-ram manifold. The Australian models changed from the "Octopus" style to the cross-ram in

1978 or 1979. Pretty sure that they got more power. They then added a bigger cam in 1980 (?) for more power again, before going back to a milder cam with the 2.8 in 1981.

If the old manifold is bad enough, 10HP might be possible.

I got a bit more out of my 264. :-)

Reply to
athol

Be careful when you refit the manifold; it is a large piece of metal, which, as you say, is only held on by 4 bolts. These bolts are stupidly undersized (M6, if I remember right), and it is very easy to strip the threads in the ally head when you bolt it back on. If that happens you will have trouble making the manifold airtight.

This is a very poor piece of design; getting 6 manifold legs to seal with 4 small bolts is by its nature unnecessarily problematic.

Replace the 6 sealing O rings at the same time.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave