Battery drains after a few days

We have a 1996 850 Turbo wagon with 60,000 miles. The car has always been maintained according to the manual by a Volvo service department.

The problem we have is that the battery is drained completely after not driving the car for a week. We have a new battery (1 yr old), had the charging system checked at three different places (Volvo dealer and two independant service stations), and all three tell us that everything checks out fine. I checked the power draw when the car is parked with the ignition off and measured only a few milli amps, too low to drain a battery after only one week. The only potential source for using battery power could be the self-leveling shocks, but I assume that they should not work when the engine is nt running. Anyone any ideas, suggestions what else to check?

Reply to
John Kubler

I had a similar problem a few months back - newish battery going flat, not much drain.

It turned out that it WAS the battery - it was not holding charge on one of the cells, and would go flat if I left the car for 2 days.

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage when it is drained. In my case it dropped from 12v(-ish) to 10v(-ish) I don't remember the real figures, but it was clear that it had dropped by one sixth (=1 cell).

Anyway - do NOT discount the battery (can you borrow one from another car ??)

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bingo

I wouldn't be sure of that; it doesn't take much load if it's there for a week.

Glove compartment light. I ended up pulling the bulb out of mine; the catch kept slipping and letting it drop open.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

John Kubler decided to add:

Boot (trunk) light on my 940

Reply to
bigjon

If you accurately measured drain, when off, at a few milliamps, I would think your new battery is no good. Have someone load test it...parts stores can do this.

Reply to
Darby O'Gill

Glove box door on mine is warped and did not push the switch enough to turn the light off. I put a rubber bumper on the door to push the switch, and no more battery drain.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron

There are those that glue a penny to the glove box door where it contacts the switch to accomplish the same thing. A 1¢ Volvo part!

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try the glove box swict fix and I will have the battery checked.

Reply to
John Kubler

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

I have used the Nickel to increase the tension on the door light switch and will have the battery checked.

Reply to
John Kubler

A 90% charged battery (=full) is 13.8 Volts. With a short-circuited cell 11.5 Volts. Pieter

Reply to
Pi