Bearings bad at 53K??!

I have '02 S60 AWD with 53K miles and I just started to notice a quiet grinding noise coming from the rear when I make a hard left turn. The noise also pops up when I brake. My Volvo dealer convinced me it was an emergency brake shoe that had fallen off in the brake assembly. They replaced the rear brakes, pads, and rotors ($623usd) but the noise continues.

It sounds to me like the bearings are on their way out, but it seems awfully early for a bearing to go, 53K miles.

---My previous Subarus and Toyotas were very close to, or over, 100K miles before they needed bearings.

Any other ideas on what to look for before I take it, and my wallet, back to my dealer?

Many Thanks!!

Lee

Reply to
leekane62

A wheel bearing can theoretically go out any time. One car had a bad bearing from the factory. Otherwise I've had Volvo's go 300,000 miles with no wheel bearing going bad. You might have the mechanic check it out with a set of remote microphones.

100,000 miles on a wheel bearing is not a very long life in my experience.
Reply to
Roadie

We have a 2005 XC90 V8. It's on it's 4th set of rear bearings. Same symptoms. Seem to fail every 15K miles or so. Luckily, under warranty each time. What ticks me off is that the service manager keeps saying "Oh yeah, this NEW set of bearings had been redesigned". Nope. So far they have all started howling after the 15K.

After warranty expires I do not want to be paying Volvo a yearly subscription fee for rear bearings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I've been getting a low grinding noise during long arcing left-hand curves at speed and was undecided as to whether it was a wheelbearing or a motor mount... are you sure the sound's from the back? Is there an easy way to tell them apart? I f you jack the car and manually roll the wheel will you feel a bad bearing?

blurp

Reply to
blurp

Apparently there is a documented problem with XC90 bearings. Your service manager is blowing you off regarding the "latest design". Wheel braring failures at 15k miles are inexcusable. I would ask for a refund under a lemon-law if you have one in your state. At some point you will inherit that bearing problem.

Reply to
Roadie