Beware the S80

I have never replaced a Volvo shock or strut. I keep my Volvos for

120,000 to 180,000 miles. I did have to replace a couple tailgate strut and did pull a front 1800E strut through the mount. I used to pass people who slowed down for railroad tracks until I found out it was illegal. I had the idea that Volvos didn't have to slow down for bumps, but one time the strut pulled right through the mounting surface. I just got a couple heavy washers and bolted it back on.

Regarding the battery, my original equipment batteries have always lasted at least 6 years.

I have never had any work done on Volvo steering components.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

First off I drove a S80 T6 as mentioned, the T6 is a 2.8 litre, not a 2.9.

Why would you have a hard time believing that a used T6 S80 that is sitting at a Volvo dealer not run right?!? Do you know how many Volvo S70, and S80s I tested before we finally decided just to get an 850!?!?!? Holy!!! So many deficiencies, yes, the dealer "will" fix them, but after you buy!!!!!!! No it wasn't the tranny, taking up drive at the lights, the car would hesitate (and no, were not talking turbo lag, there is hardly any, we're talking a pure miss, this happened on two S80s from two different dealers).

I race cars, build race engines, and know a thing or 100 about why these cars may have not been running well. Simply checking the OBDII would help, ECU may have had troubles, and simply, the cars may have not been well maintained, who knows..

The T6 a 2.8 litre. The T6 is a twin turbo charged engine, and I have no doubt your naturally aspirated 960 runs well still, my 1987 760 GLE runs great with the B280F, no probs, even with 250K kms of not so well maintained driving (other than semi regular oil changes, my sister owned it, she couldn't be bothered ;). heheh. It is not fair to compare a turbo engine to a naturally aspirated engine nor to a diesel engine for that matter. All have different characteristics that affect reliability, and the T6 being a turbo, any sort of induction leak and .................

The 1999 S80 is NOT RECOMMENDED by Lemon Aid, they pratically SCREAM it!!!!

In fact, one particular Volvo dealer told us :stttttttay away from the S80, just look at our service bay......... hehehe. So....

You be the judge, and like I said, I think if I am not mistaken, the T6 has a different engine than your 960, and I'm certain the ECU, harness as well as pistons, head, etc are different ;)

The 2000 is ok from what I've read.

Look at these links:

anyway, there was hundreds more of webpages dedicated to 1999 S80 problems, both the T6

2.8 and 2.9 naturally aspirated.

Its ok, Volvo does make mistakes as well.... Not as many as all the other car makers, thankfully!! ;)

Reply to
Myron Samila

Tim I assume you're joking about Ford - and trying to make a political point at the same time although I don't care one way or the other about your political point of view - because if you visit this NG now and then you probably have read that Ford had nothing to the with the S80 whatsoever. It was conceived and built BEFORE Ford's purchase of Volvo...so don't blame them.

If anything, thank 'em! Since they took over Volvo the S80 has improved. I'm relatively happy with my '01. Especially if it had more power and was electronically limited to only 155 MPH (as it is, I think mine will only run about 130 - 135 or so on flat ground on a windless day in Nevada...and I could really use more speed for those GETAWAYS, don'tcha know). The '02's,

03's, and 04's are even better.

Pat

PS - I'm not a big Bush supporter but I have trouble supporting his upcoming opponent, who, as an honest-to-god decorated hero of the Viet Nam war had some sort of epiphany (that's okay - many did) and decided to appear before congress and condemn every fellow soldier who ever set foot in Viet Nam (that's NOT okay) by telling the legislators that all we were doing over there on an everyday basis was cruelly killing everybody and everything just for fun and sport...which was of course a bald faced malicious lie of the worst sort, designed to propel him into the limelight as the darling of the Jane Fonda left, and who knew? --- maybe even get him elected to some high office some day?

Well here we are several years later. He ain't gettin' my vote. I may not vote for the other guy either, but I sure won't support a sniveling, lying, self-serving sonofabitch like John Kerry. I'll vote Ralph Nader first. Fuck John Kerry.

Have a nice day. Criticize Georgie all you want.

Reply to
Pat Durkin

I've read that the original inline 6 from around 1992 or so was a design that spawned the future 5 cylinder, and newer style 6 cylinder motors... And that esentially the 2.9L motor in the S80 and XC90 is basically the same motor that was availible 10+ years ago, with moodern technology and revisions done to it of course (10+ years IMO isn't a long life for an engine design, the good ones seem to be revised and updated for around 20 years...). The turbomotors have reduced displacement because of reinforcement to handle the extra stresses of the engine.

Just curious how they could get it right 10 years ago, and get it oh so wrong, according to you now (well 1999).

Don't worry tho, no plans to get a 99 S80 any time soon.... nor would I buy any car from year 1 of its production.

up drive at the

cars may have not

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've been trying to learn more about Volvo since I became the owner of a new S80 two years ago, and I'd swear that's the same thing I've heard and read myself. D'ya suppose we BOTH got it wrong?

Mebbe. Somebody tell us. Me 'n ol' Rob may be confused here. Straighten us out.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

Re: the S80... does the six cylinder engine in the S80 related to the five cylinder 2.4 liter engine? In other words, is it the same block, pistons, rods and otherwise share common engine components?

Re: Bush vs Kerry vs Nader

I completely agree with Mr. Durkin's view on Kerry.

I note that at a politically propitious time, Kerry ambled over to the Jane Fonda set, the traitoress who betrayed and caused POWs to be killed in North Vietnam and caused untold misery to others and "testified", as to his opposition to the war.

Whether the war was right or wrong is irrelevant. The fact has not escaped me that in a time of war and crisis, when we all should have been sticking together, he adopted a posture of sanctimonious outrage.

In short, he changed his colors.

Now, Kerry's apologists claim he had nothing to do with Fonda and her movement.

Please.

What we need in this country is the strength of character Bush has exhibited, not chameleons. In this country, we are burdened with a media that badly distorts and/or under reports foreign events and their true significance to this country.

We are an insular society, by reason of geography, culture and education. Therefore, the true relationship between foreign events and the welfare and future of this country is not discerned by most of our population and is further exacerbated by the misinformation and distortion of the press.

Right now, Kerry is the darling of the press.

I would strongly advise that those truly interested in what's going on with our nation vis a vis the rest of the world, not to rely on the US and Western European press, rather, seek out private intelligence services that that ALL major corporations subscribe to. There are a number of professional services out there that give deep insight as to the true nature, causes and origins of world events and how they affect the US and our allies.

Mine costs $500.00 a year, but, let me tell you... I'm more comfortable, informed and, as a result, more qualified to make a decision as to which candidate to vote for.

I guess you can see that foreign relations drive my vote, but I figure, without securing the outer walls, there's no point in securing the inner walls.

Pat Durk>

Reply to
Phil Kallis

You still missed the point.......

(info taken from my Volvo service docs)

Volvo 960 engine: B6304F and B6304S + various derivatives over the model years. Bosch Motronic

Volvo S80 T6 engine: B6284T Bore 81 mm, Stroke 90mm, 8.7-1 compression using ME7 ECM remapped for turbo., CVVT added (variable valve timing on the exhaust)

Volvo S80 naturally aspirated 1999: B6304S3 similar to 960, different bosses for engine mounts, etc.. transverse application 83mm bore, Stroke 90mm, 10.7-1 compression using ME7 ECM. CVVT (variable valve timing on the intake)

Volvo S80 naturally aspirated 2000: B6294S

I didn't say that the S80 engine wasn't a derivative of the 960 engines, that wasn't the point. The T6 is different, with smaller displacement, don't you think there may be something different?!?

ECU is different (ME7), intake plenum is different, ummm T6 is twin turbo, can you see where there may be troubles in the first year of manufacture?? You should also read more about turbo vs naturally aspirated, they decrease the bore and compression for turbo application, we are talking forced induction here, the combustion pressures do not pose any critical forces on engine components in any other way than a naturally aspirated engine. ie: turbo is much lower compression, na is much higher., you're just trying to ram more air/fuel into the cylinder for the given time that the intake valve is opened.

The Volvo S80 in 1999 had a very high rate of electrical failures, some of which included engine control management, it also uses drive by wire technology.

Also here is a brief excerpt from Brickboard about the new B6284T and other S80 engines compared to what your car has:

"A large number of components are new compared to previous version of this engine while visually these engines are almost identical about 90% of the main components are new."

The rest of the article can be found here:

My single point was, how could you not believe that a 1999 S80 T6 could not have problems?!? hesitation?!?! missing?!?You should re-read the post I made before you hit "reply group" next time.. hmmm, you're quite ignorant to think that a car with so many upgrades since your 1993 960 would contain the same electronics as the S80, does the B6304F have variable valve timing in your 960? ummm, I don't think so, does it have drive by wire? also, no, I am sure it doesn't. I do know however, that with some mods, the T6 engine can fit into a 960.

We aren't comparing apples to apples here, we are comparing the S80 which is a much different car than your 960, just as much as the 960 is quite different in many respects to my '87 760 (chassis wise, the engines are completely different).

Anyhow, I've made my point, you should do some more research before you make incorrect and uneducated statements, time to move on to other posts that make more sense.

Reply to
Myron Samila

I second that!

My beat '87 760 has original tie rod ends and ball joints!! I couldn't believe this!!! (I recently checked the front end and this car has been in our family since new). The only complaint is that the anti roll bar bushings are worn and you can hear the bar in certain types of wheel deflection, the bar hits up against the chassis/bar mounts. Simple fix.

Well, there is enough information that at least the 1999 S80 was full of troubles from the get go, that is too bad. Such a great style.

Reply to
Myron Samila

Oh Rob,

Yeah, just a little more info about how Volvo "got it wrong after 10 years".

brickboard is a great site, lots of information about your 960 as well.

Reply to
Myron Samila

Okay OKAY! I'm straightened.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

Thank's Myron.... In my original question I was concerned with the NA 2.9L motor, didn't realize you were talking about the Turbo.

bosses for engine

compression using ME7

also read more

which included

does it have drive

make incorrect and

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hey no problem!!

I hope that Volvo continues to make safe and reliable cars, as probably any new (new to me, used of course) car that I would decide to buy would be a Volvo!!!

I am always interested in finding out which ones are the best value, but also the most reliable. I probably would end up replacing my car with a 900 series car anyhow (similar), I don't know if the S90 was ever sold in Canada.

I am happy with the '96 850 my sister bought (she insisted on a car without sunroof, more headroom for her 6'4" husband, although the S80 was the only Volvo that headroom with sunroof wasn't an issue, the S60 limited the vision (his head is higher than the visor line!!!). My other sister bought a 1999 V70 brand new, also very happy with it.

Eventually you may need to replace your 960 (although it will take a while), and knowing all this info will help in your next Volvo purchase ;)

Thanks

Myron Samila Toronto, ON Canada Samila Racing http://204.101.251.229/myronx19

Reply to
Myron Samila

Well our 960 is still looking to be in it for the long haul. Had a tuneup done this week, I took it out today for a little boot around town, and the engine just came to life, I think it really needed those new spark plugs and wires ;-). If it needs replaceing our family has been eyeing the V70's development for years now... The 2004 Titanium Edition would be the one to replace our 965.

To answer your question, yes the S90 and V90 were in Canada, but it was only a 1998 model, then production ended... They only called it S90/V90 because they were using this alphanumeric naming system on the other cars, the 960 had to fit in somehow. I still think the S90 was much more of a flagship of a car then the S80 it. Rear wheel drive, strong 6 cylinder motor with no turbochargers or anything added to it to boost power (I don't think a luxury car should be Turbo charged, unless it's some sort of sport version - Think Audi A6/RS6, luxury/super sport)

I really like the new Volvo's, thankfully I will never have to buy one from

1999-2000 or somewhere in that timeframe. The 2002's and up seem solid.

Right now if I was buying a brand new car and money wasn't a big factor I would be torn between getting a V70, and S60, or a Jetta TDI-PD, or a Passat... I love Volvo and VW's about the same, for the same reasons, and for different reasons... It would be a tough choice, thankfully there is a

without sunroof, more

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Based on what is posted in this group, that "old song" is most often right.....

PC

| | A defender of the brand steps in and blames the owner/driver. Old song, | often wrong. | | John | |

Reply to
Proconsul

I think you've nailed it - way too many posting here who inhabit that particular lunatic fringe.....:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

It's only a sample of one, I admit. But my S80 is perfect.

Reply to
Michael Hobbs

My S80 is now 14 months old and no problems. This is my third volvo and I think the S80 is the dogs bollocks.

Ant.

Michael Hobbs wrote:

Reply to
tony

Mine too!!!

Reply to
Pleasantly Surprized

Hahahaha!

Mine's pretty good too :-) The car's been bum-rapped.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

My 2000 S80 T-6 has been extremely reliable, only goes in the shop every

7,500 miles for it's regular service. That's the story I've got from other S80 owners that I've talked to as well so the sample size is a lot larger than is ever represented on this type of forum.

Now if only my two year old Honda lawn mower were this reliable!

Reply to
Spanky