Suspension

Car: S70 2.5 T 1998 Location: UK

My mechanic tells me that my rear shocks are starting to fail and while not a disaster at the moment I should start to consider what to replace them with...

I could just use Volvo shocks Or I could take the opportunity to upgrade with something possibly a bit better

One point to note is that I have a heavy load in the boot of the car permanently (due to a 90 litre LPG tank nad various ICE bits)

Just looking for suggestions and ideas at the moment...

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

You could possibly fit a V70 self-levelling kit (not sure whether the S70 had a self-levelling option - but the chassis is essentially the same). May work out quite expensive though - unless you can get the bits from a low mileage insurance write-off.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:54:53 -0000, "Bonnet Lock" wibbled about:

Is that actually a serious option?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Well, it can certainly be done - but I don't know about the cost!

I suggested it because you seem permanently to be carrying an additional load - which presumably makes the car low at the back.

The exact details of the conversion to self-levelling depend on what you've got to start with. At very least, you will need to replace the existing dampers with the type which pump themselves up, using the energy which they absorb from road motion. You may also have to replace the rear springs and/or anti-roll bar.

If you email me privately at "news (at) mills37 (dot) fslife (dot) co (dot) uk" with your VIN number, I'll look in the parts list and try to work out what you's need.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

The self-leveling kit would be more advantageous to someone who alternately had a heavy load in the trunk. The car in question always has the heavy equipment in the trunk. The obvious solution is a quality aftermarket shock that is setup a little firmer than the stock rear shock.

Reply to
Spanky

I disagree! You solution would give a firmer ride and help to prevent the increased load from making the car wallow - but would do nothing to sort out the ride height, unless you also fitted stiffer springs. Added to that, the load *isn't* constant - because the 90 litre LPG tank can be full or empty (or somewhere in between).

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

You are right, I did forget to specify new springs although that was what I was intended to convey. A lot of cars have the fuel tank over the rear axle and, with a quality suspension it's not really an issue.

Reply to
Spanky

Dependiing on what the ride height it like with petrol or gas tank full (but not both) I might well repleace the springs with apair of stiffer T5 units and upgrade the shocks to some quality Boge or Sachs gas filled units.

the rear suspension on our now sold 93 850 was decidedly soft and wallowey at 100k and had we kept the car would have needed work...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.