Boo Hoo My 745 is no more...Accident this Morning

Hi all, I was hit by toyota corolla who turned left in front of me with no warning, no injuries either side, but my front driver side grill, bumper light assemblies, fender and Front wheel, suspension all bent out of shape...the wheel partially under the door. I still was able to open the door and exit with little difficulty. I am stiff and sore but otherwise unscathed. I am pretty sure the adjuster will declare it a total loss. any advice as to the potential cost to fix? should I buy it back from the insurance or find another 745/945? I dont even know how much they are likely to offer me for the Car. Any ideas?

1989 745 GL, Auto, sunroof, power everything, heated seats.... 334000km. judiciously serviced. 90% highway kms mostly Ottawa Montreal over the years. still was my daily runner until this morning.

Cheers.

So much venting...I guess I never realised how useful this car was to me.

PT

89 745GL 334000km (RIP)?
Reply to
Paul Tremblay

Sorry to hear about the accident. If the car is not driveable as sounds to be the case I would assume it's not easily or safely fixable, chances are the frame is bent pretty badly and it would never be the same again. If you have the space you could look into buying it cheaply from the insurance and use it for parts, then you could pick up another similar car and not have to worry about the condition of the interior since you would have a complete set.

Whatever the insurance offers you, be prepared to demand more, insurance companies are notorious for trying to stiff people, especially for older cars. If you keep calling and calling and bugging them and make it clear that you won't settle for less they'll often give you market value. Bluebook is useless, look around at some car dealers, look in the paper, save the ads you find for similar cars in similar condition. These old wagons tend to hold their value extremely well, a car like that would fetch about $3000-$3500 US in my area.

Reply to
James Sweet

I agree with your Suggestion, It would be very useful to have a parts car since I have really invested in the Car over the years.

I have dealt with that low balling tendency they have before, I have started pinting out online Ads for similar cars and have asked my mechanic and a Car broker friend of mine for assistance as witnesses to the maintenance and value of the car. I will post an update as this progresses.

Thanks for your input it is appreciated.

PT

Reply to
Paul Tremblay