Entourage Accident

Came home from a vacation to Ocean City, MD, today. Long story short is that I got plowed by a tractor trailer on Rt. 13 in Delaware. He claims he couldn't see me. The only way I could believe that is if his eyes were closed.

Anyway, he tagged the driver's side rear bumper and turned the van sideways while continuing the forward motion. He scraped up the side of the van to the drivers door while pushing us sideways up the highway. Estimate he pushed us 300' or so before he stopped.

It was about a 15 MPH impact that shattered the rear windows, ripped off the rear bumper (well, I had to rip off the last clip holding it on to drive). Also the left rear wheel is bent inwards at the top and outwards towards the front of the van. The left side of the body is FUBAR.

The most amazing thing is that my son's sliding door still opens!! And of course, no one was hurt. The cop said he only saw one other similar crash without an injury and probably 50 WITH injuries.

Anyway, with all of our luggage, and only about 60 miles left to go to get home, I gave it a try, and amazingly we made it (I didn't go over 40 MPH with the falshers going the whole time).

The steering wheel is off about 20-30 degrees and I think the term is "crabbing" for how straight the vehicle drives now. I am farily sure that pushing us 300' messed up all four corners of the suspension, the frame is bent too, and the body damage is severe. I would guess it will be close to a total by the insurance company.

But we managed to drive home without an injury.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Thank God you and your family are safe, you can always replace a vehicle.

Reply to
Smee

That's a story and a half Eric. Next time - don't try so hard, just to top the rest of us story tellers here. Glad it was only vehicle damage and not occupant damage though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:b3c93$46a22bd2$a227001a$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, when I wrote that I was still a bit "on edge". Actually, I probably still am a bit today.

I am also worried about the insurance company dropping us. This is the fourth accident we've had in as many years. Although only 50% of one of accidents was found to be our fault, and the one yesterday is still pending obviously, but it does seem like a lot to me.

Eric (driving a Mitsubishi Galant rental :-( )

Reply to
Eric G.

I feel for your loss of a valued Hyundai product. Like Smee mentioned, praise God that all are safe. Not sure what ins. company you're with, but sometimes things happen.

I'm also in pain for your driving a Galant....I experienced the same suffering on a business trip in Miami with one- 12 days!

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

Who is your insurance company? If none of these are your fault (save 50% for one), that shouldn't make any difference. If it does, you need to drop them before they drop you.

Glad you and your family are safe. Now I'm curious on a couple of things:

*If the vehicle is totalled out, are you going to get another Entourage, or similar Kia Sedona?

*If you do, are you going to try to get one of the last of the '07's, or the first of the '08's?

Maybe getting ahead of myself, but just curious.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

"Rev. Tom Wenndt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Actually, I have one of the best companies in the area (NJ Manufacturers). Most people wait YEARS to get in with them. In NJ, finding a reasonable insurance company that actually pays to fix your car RIGHT is rare.

Thanks, so am I.

Without a doubt! Although I will probably take a look at some other minivans too, but just to reassure me that I am making the right decision again.

Did they change anything? If not, I will probably look at the leftovers for an even better deal.

No, not thinking too far ahead of me. I've already been thinking hot and heavy about the possibilities.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Steve R." wrote in news:Qproi.12510$ya1.6434 @news02.roc.ny:

I am very thankful we did not get hurt. Especially after really absorbing the accident scene.

We might be stuck with it for up to a month depending on what they do with the van!! And my wife wouldn't even get in the thing, so I guess she'll be driving my Sonata for a while and I get the POS.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Eric G." responding to my question about whether he was leaning towards a

2007 Hyundai Entourage / Kia Sedona, or looking at the new '08, said: "Did they change anything? If not, I will probably look at the leftovers for an even better deal."......

Smart. Right now, Hyundai is offering $2000 cash back, plus an additional $1000 "loyalty bonus" if you already own one, at least in my area.

I don't know when the '08's come out, and at least regarding the Sedona, I haven't heard of any major changes. But '08 will be year three of the Entourage. Hyundai / Kia has shown a remarkable ability to keep updating their products, especially as they see little fixes that need to take place. My guess is that by year three, they have most of that stuff figured out.

But if you have been happy with the Entourage, you can't beat the deals you get in late Summer. Do remember, though, that in a very short period of time, you will have a one-year-old minivan, and the van's value will reflect that.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

"Rev. Tom Wenndt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Well, sure it will be a MY older, and will depreciate faster, but if I can afford it based on what insurance pays out, it will be a no-brainer for me.

As to the MY '08 being the 3rd year of production, that is not correct. My '07 Entourage was one of the first off the Hyundai production line. We purchased it just a year ago in July 2006. Unless you are referring to the Sedona which could have come out as an '06 model.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

You are correct. The Sedona came out right at the beginning of '06 as an '06 model, and it is a Sedona that I own - my third.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad all are OK. The Hyundai did it's job in this case. I'll be heading to Ocean City at the end of August (from Long Island NY), hope my family and my new Elantra fare better! good luck.

Reply to
jtees4

jtees4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks. You'll be just fine I hope. Which way are you planning to go? If you are going to hit Rt. 13 in Delaware (right after the Delaware Memorial Bridge) be careful. The state trooper said they get 2-3 accidents PER DAY in that spot where mine happened. If you see the Burger King on the Northbound side, that is where my Entourage landed.

Eric

P.S. - Take the FERRY if you get the incling.

Reply to
Eric G.

I am going to DC for the weekend, then heading to Ocean City on a Monday morning. I have not looked at the route yet. Coming home I plan on taking the ferry as I know it is more direct. If I end up on Rt 13 I will definitely watch out. Thanks!

Reply to
jtees4