Brakes on 1993 Volvo Turbo 940

I have a question. I have been having on occassion a scraping noise when I apply my brakes. I just had a check up on my car about a month ago when they changed my oil and said the car was in good shape. I don't feel it needs brakes?? I have only gone 24,000 with the brakes I have on it now. What could the problem be does anyone know and if I do need brakes what is the ball park figure for them? Can anyone help me with this? I'd appreciate it very much .. Barbara

Reply to
barbara00 via CarKB.com

have the pads checked all around... (volvo dealer or volvo mechanic)...the scraping sound could be "metal on metal".. not good...hard to est a brake job w/out the car in front of me...but, i would budget $200 (us) to $500 ... depending on whats needed...but, if you think you hear or feel scraping metal on metal...get the car in asap....

my $.02....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

could be pads! I do not know if Volvo has wear sensors on the pads, but...

Are you in the USA? NTB is a chain I know that does free brake inspections, so does Midas...although I do not like Midas much.

Brakes are usualy a straightfoward job, and they are not always checked as part of an oil change unless you pay for a full 'inspection'. It's good to develop a relationship with a shop, so if you seemed happy about where they did the oil change give them another shot.

As to the mileage 3 points.

1) Less expensive brakes wear out faster. 2) Many aftermarket brakes are made 'soft' so they do not make much noise. 3) Stop and go driving with an automatic trans does eat pads fast.

If you plan to keep the car you can consider ceramic pads--they are expensive but they have little dust and last a good while!

Best luck.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve