Petrol in diesel - UK

Hi,

most diesel handbooks tell you that it is O.K. to put up to 25% petrol in the diesel over winter to prevent 'waxing up' at low temperatures.

Does anyone have figure for how much (if any) this reduces the MPG?

If I could cut my diesel with 3* unleaded without suffering loss of MPG or performance then this could be a real money saver.

Sounds too good to be true, however.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Modern diesel fuel does not wax up in winter. They use a different formula in winter to prevent this happening. You would be better off investigating the possibility of using used chip oil with suitable tank heating as your main fuel. This has benefits in pump lubrication as well, prolonging the life of the fuel pump.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes