Brick -> TurboBrick project

I've got an 84 240DL wagon. 194k, c'mon gal! My baby. *hug*. Throttle body desperately needs a cleaning, didnt replace the timing belt before it snapped 4000 miles ago, about 800 overdue for an oil change, couple fairly minor dents and paint scuffs, front break pads are well into being on their way out, but its mine and i love her.

I know this is kind of laughable, but how unrealistic would it be to convert it to a turbo? Just run up to Crazy Ray's junk yard with a box of tools and start pulling apart a 740 turbo or two? Read a couple small mod projects of the sort. Doesnt seem all that unreasonable.

To my defense, i'd keep a low boost? :-] But more seriously, not that I need to in any respect (bought at 160k for $800), but i would like to keep this car until its a classic. I'm relying on the fact that volvo's are built like bricks to keep her running on boost... hell, i figure anything that'll put up with me and my driving for 34k probably isnt going anywhere for a long long long time.

There's no bolt in 5 speed i can replace either, is there? At least my overdrive is working again...

I love my brick. Matt

ps: i accidentally posted this as a reply two days ago. reposting... sorry. :-]

Reply to
Myren

Join

and talk to the inmates.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

It can be done, but it's quite a project. You need the engine, plumbing, wiring, fuel system, exhaust, etc from a turbo model, probably a 700 or 900 series with EFI will be your best bet. Then you may want to look into heavier swaybars that the turbos had, and of course all new bushings. They did make a 5 speed later on, the M47, but I wouldn't recommend it with a turbo, it's generally known as a weaker transmission.

Reply to
James Sweet