buying a 240

I've been looking at an '89 240 wagon with just under 200,000km. Its in decent shape with a bit of rust on the tailgate and a bit on the fenders. The rest of the body is decent. The owner has recently put a new starter in, a new muffler, and changed the pads in the front about a year ago. His elderly father has been driving it for about 4 yrs and another family owned it before since '89. I took it for a test drive and it seems to have a rubbing sound coming from the front brakes as I take off from stop position but it goes away fairly quickly until the next stop. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet but from looking underneath it seems to have a possible fuel leak on the top of the fuel tank, and may have an oil leak on the rear of the engine. The guy is asking $2000 as is, or $2500 safetied. I've been looking for a 240 for a while but they seem to get snatched up around here (Toronto, ON, CAN) in less than 24 hrs of posting on the major classified sites. This one is somewhat un-advertised and I came across it by accident. The owner isn't really in a rush to sell and hasn't put it on the regular spots such as Autotrader, Craigslist, etc. Does anyone have an opinion on this before I take it to my mechanic?

Thanks. cton.

Reply to
cton

In my area rust is a deal breaker, where you find some there's always more, and $2000 sounds more like a rust-free in good cosmetic and running condition price, but then again in Toronto maybe they always have rust?

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for your experience on this. I ended up offering him $1200 and he came down to $1800, but I had already decided that I wouldn't go above $1500 for this particular vehicle. I agree, $2000 seems a little steep and I think I'll continue my search. The guy was really hesitant of me having my mechanic look at it anyways which is always a bad sign.

Reply to
cton

In addition to checking rust, remember to check if all the eletrics work. When the key is in position 2, check if warninglights come on..

Check if the car brakes straigt (try a braketest in an empty parkinglot) Check lights, A/C, etc. if applicable.

Then, the most important thing: The rust! You can never know 100% if the car is rust-free, but if you know there is rust, there most likely is more rust than you know.

To check a car pr>> In my area rust is a deal breaker, where you find some there's always

Reply to
Olav Alexander Mjelde

People selling used cars always overestimate the value. It's a natural thing to do. Being reluctant to have a mechanic look at it before the sale would be a deal breaker for me- but as the buyer I'd expect to pay for the inspection.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

You may want to take periodic looks at this web site>

Thenk click on Cars&Trucks in the for sale box. Then type in Volvo in in the search box.

You may find others including the 740 and 940 to be of interest.

Good luck, Joe

Reply to
Joe D