Buying S70, what to look for

Reply to
Nobody

Hi all

After yet another breakdown i have decide that it is finally time to let my

440 1.6 Li retire. The rotting rear arches and constant things going wrong is finally getting too much.

The goos news is that i have seen a nice S70 2.0 10v for sale near me!!! And its cheap too!! Does anyone know of any common faults, major issues, etc that i should be looking for when i go see it tomorrow?

Thanks all

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

Thanks for that nobody

Reply to
Vertuas

Firstly, the 2.0 10v is cheap cos its the engine to avoid. It really struggles to propel the car at any more than sedate speeds and is heavy on fuel. 2.5 10v is the best all round engine with manual box, if you want an auto go for the 20v version.

Our 2.5 10v manual is averaging 32-33mpg in mixed driving- our previous

2litre 20 struggled to do more than 30mpg in the same circumstances.

Would help if you said which model of S70 you are looking at, and what price its at- it may be a base spec S model, but known issues are:

1) air con generally up the spout, evapourators leaking (dash out job), rotted condensor, or compressor clutch knackered. 2) Drivers door check strap or top hinge pulling away from body- if caught early enough (listn for clicking when opening door) and mig-welded up then gives no more trouble. 3) Engine should start immediately hot or cold and not have any noisy hydraulic lifters. Oil should be changed every 5k. 4) Look for evidence of timing belt change- 70k. If no proof budget for changing it (£250) 5) Drivers door leccie window switch panel switches wear out rapidly - usually drivers door- and suddenly you wont be able to wind up the glass. New switch units are £80 from Volvo, good used ones like hens teeth. Switches from C70 are not the same. 6) If manual look for clutch noise, and /or biting towards top of travel. £400 to change if worn out- though they usually last 80k at least on the non turbo's. 7) Any other electrical sillyness. 8) Uneven front tyre wear and curbed wheels. Front suspension lasts well but doesnt like abuse from curbs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I bought a '99 S70 in late May, 04

It is a great car. interior perfect body perfect individual temp controls 2.4 l v 20, turbo engine very strong 30 mpg at 75 for 3000 mile trip. only problem walmart will not change oil had to get special wrench and do it myself ordered filters from E-Bay can hardly wait until my wife gets tired of it so I can drive it.

j.

Vertuas wrote:

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

Thanks for that Tim

I seen the car advertised on the auto trader site, it was up for £2,000 with LPG conversion installed,

When i called the guy he told me he'd sold it any ways

Looks like the 440 gets to stay a little bit longer!

Cheers

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas