buying xc90 used car what to look for?

Hello, i would like to buy a used XC 90. Are there things that I should look at before buying such a car? Known problems? Thanks

Reply to
Bluefox

They had their share of problems, especially the first year, the 2003 model. And, as luck would have it, the ones with the most problems end up on the used car lots. So this is one model that is best purchased new if you want to avoid problems. If you buy used, I would insist on looking at the maintenance history. They are new enough so that if they received dealer service the dealer should have all records. I would also consider an service plant.

It is the first vehicle to feature roll-stability control to help prevent rollovers. They have proven to be a very safe vehicle but reliability is not their strong suit. They have a very small chance of leaving you stranded, but have more than their share of nagging defects.

They had some recalls:

All models, Windshield wiper arm: Windshield wiper could be damaged by snow, causing wiper to fail.

2005 Battery Installation: At factory, battery may have been improperly connected to starter motor, resulting in smoke, fire, loss of warning lamps and other electrical power, and inability to start vehicle.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

Here is another recall:

All models: Under high loads, outer tie-rod assembly could fail, causing loss of steering control.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
mdrawson

Don't forget the brand new 3.2 engine also a 6-cylinder 3.2 AWD (238 hp) !!!

"mdrawson" schreef in bericht news:2meRg.140$Rp3.120@dukeread12...

Reply to
volvo480

I believe the 6 cylinder engine was used in the T6 since inception. I would hardly think of that as being a one-of orphan model.

mdraws> Something else to be aware of: Originally the XC90 came with the 5-cylinder

Reply to
Roadie

I believe that's a somewhat different engine than the discontuinued T6 (which is what I as referring to), and it's only available in the '07 models which I imagine our correspondent isn't looking at if he's looking for a used unit.

Reply to
mdrawson