Buying XJS - what to look for ...

Looking to buy a XJS, what should I look out for - common faults, rust areas etc. Anything else? Never had one of these and know very little about them.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Michael

RUST, if it's older then 1992. A/C is expensive to repair on these cars! V12 cost some money to drive :(

Pepe

Winter car = XJ40 Soverign -94 Summer car = XJS Conv 6,0 -95 (no rust)

"Michael" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@feathers.force.co.uk...

Reply to
Pepe

Hi, I'm a 1988 XJS 5.3 V12 owner and don't have any problems with my car. Before buying the car, be sure that the following items work and are in good condition:

- A/C and heater

- fuel pump without any noises after start and no fuel smel in the trunk

- kickdown (auto models)

- anti lock (abs)

- electric seats (heating and positioning) and electric side windows

- wipers

- cruise control

- trip computer

- oil press abot 5 at 2000 rpm.

- alternator (14VDC) ... + all the obvious parts you would inspect buyeing another car

I personally recommed you an HE (high efficency; after 1986 i think) model with manual transmission. good luck

"Michael" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@feathers.force.co.uk...

Reply to
sd

I've got a 1988 V12 under restoration at the moment. Although it was sat for

4 years the engine did start. A new set of plugs and injector seals later and it runs fine - Therefore I would say that mechanically you are not going to get many problems.

To agree with the other comments, rust is an issue. There are a couple of places that seem to really rust, so if you find an XJS which is ok in these places then the rest of the car should be ok :-

1) In the engine bay look at the inner wings just below the shock absorber bolts.

2) Go behind the front wheels up into the wheelarches and the floorpan where the jacking point is.

3) Go around the rear wheelarches.

These appear to be the really weak areas. Remember though that all rust is repairable and panels for XJS's are reasonably priced (With the exception of outer sills which are £168).

Best of luck

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

...also check the front subframe and the rear radius arms, either can rust through.

Phil. (1986 XJS 3.6 Manusl - with rust!)

Reply to
Philip Barton

outer sills which are £168).

Does anyone know any UK aftermarket (pattern) sources for XJ-S front wings and other body panels, please? Or are you just saying that OEM panels aren't too badly priced?

Regards George

Reply to
George Bray