C70 engine problem - pt 2

Hi there,

I have a '99 C70 T5 Auto Convertible and today it's developed a fault when accelerating hard.

I have no idea what might be causing it and I was wondering, if I described the problem to the group, if someone might be able to point me in the right direction so I can do some research (I like to be informed before I get ripped off at the dealership

With my auto, there's a little kick-down facility where if I floor it, there's a mechanism where I can push the accelerator slightly further to the floor to cause the auto to change down a gear (or two).

This morning, with a semi warm engine, I press the accelerator to the kick down point, it kicks down, accelerates hard until it reached about

4 1/2 krpm and then "topped out" - it appeared to lose power, and then engine was revving but the car no longer accelerating, and not changing up either.

It also sounded like something in the engine was not engaging but merely spinning madly (not the turbo, but something else - I recognise the turbo whine ya know

I don't know if it's related, but on Thursday I had to have the battery replaced. The old one had gone completely flat - to the point of no lights on the dash board - not even dim.

-----

Doh ! Accidentally posted the message before I'd finished !

Could it be the turbo ? The problem only seems to occur when the engine revs get slightly inside the HP turbo band - I hear the turbo spin up just before the problem occurs.

Otherwise the car drives completely normally - only under hard acceleration does the problem manifest.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone whose got any ideas or had a similar problem.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

That sounds very much like a transmission problem, your transmission is slipping under the high torque during hard acceleration. Does the RPM rise when it starts doing that or does it stay flat?

Reply to
James Sweet

Andrew,

I think that you are hitting the fuel cutoff. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the car, but sometimes the same thing happens if I floor my C70 T5M.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Ack - that'd crossed my mind too. The RPM stays flat at 4 1/2 when it happens.

What's the typical life on a torque converter, any idea ? The car's just coming up to 47k miles...

Reply to
Andrew

That's interesting. Mine used to be fine until a few days ago, though, what would cause the fuel cut off to happen so early ? It seems a bit odd that it'd happen so low, since one then couldn't use the best bit of the engine - the turbo :->

Reply to
Andrew