C70 oil usage

We've recently acquired a year 2000 C70 T5. It was running low on oil last week so it's been in to the dealers to check for a leak. Nothing was found and the report says the car can use a litre of oil per 1000 miles.

Is this true/normal as we've never experienced this with a car before. (Previous car was an Impreza turbo that didn't require topping up between 7.5K services).

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike Read

It's true but not normal. Very few use any oil when they are new, but some do. And the manufacturers don't consider it a problem. I have 2 '98s, neither use any oil, and one has nearly 300,000 km on it.

Reply to
Mike F

True that some cars can and do use some oil, upto a litre per 1000miles yes, but that would be excessive.

The 5cyl volvos, infact any volvos for that matter, rarely use any discernable amount of oil between changes, so I would inveastigate further as to where it is going.

A litre / 1000miles down the exhaust is going to knacker the cat in a short time.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It use to be that in any car 1L/1000 miles was considered normal, but with catalytic convertors I would think that this should be considered closer to a maximum amount than normal. My '90 240 with 190,000 miles on it uses about half that much and it has a head gasket seep, although it does not drip oil at all.

I would monitor the oil consumption carefully (document when and how much oil you add). In cases like this I reserve one oil bottle for the car and mrk on it with a permanent marker the level on the bottle and the odometer reading each time I add oil.

ALso, some cars have faster oil consumption when compeltely full than if the oil is allowed to be at 75-80% full.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

What quality oil are you using ? Are you using synthetic and did you run it in correctly? Are you a slow driver using mineral oil and never give the car a bit of stick ? We use synthetic oil and hardly ever top up between changes . Does you mechanic use the oil that gives him the best return rather than the oil that will protect your car ? A family went to a mechanic rather than have me change her oil ,she noticed the car sounded strange so I checked the oil it was not Mobil one and not the right colour ,so off to the mechanic I went and asked him to please explain .He stated sure I used the oil she gave me Mobil one see there's half a container over there left over .Now two and a half litres do not fill a Toyota seca and not when you put in a new filter .He had used the shop garage oil,junk cheap nasty .He stole from the lady in effect .Another friend traveled a long way to my home and his oil was very low when I checked its level even though he told me it was fine ,it was junk oil .So I topped up with Mobil one and when he returned the oil was still at full level when he got home .JUNK oil is expensive .Also remember after a lot of city runs the oil retains some water fuel and such , so after a good run the level will be low as the contamination is burnt off ,leaving only the oil .

Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep track of the usage. On balance I think there's a leak, if we ever get some dry weather I'll put some paper down in the garage to see if it shows.

There's no smoke from the exhaust so hopefully it's not going there.

Most of the miles are our commute (22 mile run) the first 15 or so are on fast roads 60-70 mph mostly in 5th with occaisional foot down 3rd gear overtaking. The rest are in town 20-30 mph stop/start.

The first 3-4 miles is all up hill (about 800 ft climb to about 1600 ft above sea level) this is mostly done in 4th/5th at around 70 mph.

According to the service done in May the oil was "Fully synthetic high perfromance engine oil based on Mobil F1 technology".

Thanks again Mike

Reply to
mar