C70 convertible problem with window mechanism

Some bad luck, which has a lesson learned...

Bought my C70 T5 convertible new in 2000, fine car, great to drive. Everything OK except for not properly closing front windows, driver side worse than passenger side. It was fixed under warranty a few times, but kept coming back after some months. The dealer also repaired it once after warranty expired. The last time he charged ~80E, I wasn't too happy about it, but didn't complain too loudly. I enjoyed the car! Recently I moved and mentioned the same problem - it was back again - to the new dealer. After investigation, he suggested a real fix. The steel cable to move the window up/down had now almost broken. But... he quoted some 900 E [1165$] (per window) of which 530 E [685$] (excl. tax) just for the window mechanism!! (I only need the cable, but this is not available separately, only the complete thing, including electric motor, nut, bolts, washers, bowden cables, everything...) As is clear, the reason for the problem is incorrect adjustment/repair (consistently) by the dealer in the past years, leading to the cable being damaged. If only it had been really solved under warranty...

- anyone has a similar experience?

- any support from Volvo itself?

W.

Reply to
Wytze

Known problem with the setup but there is no correction from volvo as for the high cost its because you are purchasing the whole cassite which needs to be adjusted once installed not a very nice repair I have done a few of these & always try to stay away from this repair

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Glenn,

Thanks. So: bad luck. Any Volvo rep around!?! Same construction in normal C70 I guess!

I have ordered the whole thing, comes indeed even with a new window motor, something which btw *can* be ordered separately... Would you have any tips on the repair procedure and adjustments?

W.

Reply to
Wytze

On Monday I will bring the information home & post that night for you & whoever else wants a copy Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Great!

In the mean time the part (number 9467884) arrived. A huge box with indeed the complete mechanism (motor, bowden cables, *the* steel cable, sliding mechanism, sliders, etc), premounted in a frame. I'll try a made a picture some day.

W.

Reply to
Wytze