240 Hard clutch pedal

Hi all...

Our 1978 244 (with 4 speed gearbox) was fine yesterday. This morning the clutch pedal has gone "hard". I put the quote marks, because it's not hard to press down - it just "feels" hard... (Yeah, I know that makes no sense.)

First gear and reverse feel just like they always have, but with 2, 3 & 4 - press the pedal and it feels... I don't know - hard! The fluid in the clutch master cylinder is a little low too. It still drives fine.

Any ideas?

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

Hm... It could just be! The mount has been covered in oil for a few years. It did look ok the last time I wiped it off though, so I'll crawl under tomorrow and have a look.

The pedal kind of feels like when someone doesn't bleed their brakes correctly.

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

I'd have to drive it I think to make sense of that, there's no difference as far as the clutch is concerned what gear it's in, unless your tranny mount has broken and is somehow causing something to bind.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh - and later today, I noticed I can feel it in 1st as well, but is still more noticeable in the other gears. Also, once I parked on level ground, the brake fluid level is at minimum. (It was topped up

12 months ago and I haven't noticed it move until now.)

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

If the fluid level had anything to do with it all the gears would feel the same. Oil on the mounts is not good. Deformed mounts can dramatically affect how the car will shift. On the 240 I changed my mounts (all 3) and used Syn fluid and it shifts like new now. Was missing an ocassional shift before the change and have not missed one after.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

It's a cable operated clutch though right? Maybe the pressure plate or release bearing is damaged?

Reply to
James Sweet

Are we talking about the transmission mounts and engine mounts? As What I am experiencing is hard to get shifter to move to the number 1 spot most of the time but can suddenly decide to behave and run smooth depending on its mood ( I think) LOL

BTW I know about the nylon guide stop with nut for adjustment so that one doesn't accidentally shift to reverse while meaning to be going in to first gear, adjusted that thing a few times now, wondering if I too have bad mounts?

Dan

Randy G. wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

I have to nearly come to full stop before selecting 1st gear - and that's been wiith both the 240s we've owned. I think that's normal.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

I agree that's been the same for me but what's this about a hard clutch pedal? And the answer was something about mounts? When I gun the engine with flywheel engaged to clutch plate the shifter sure moves (jolts) around in the shifter area, seems like it's really not normal. So basically I am experiencing symptoms that would appear to have little to do with the clutch pedal itself, rather the shifter and/or linkage stuff going down into the tranny itself. Can anyone offer any solution or maybe why this is happening? And BTW I have adjusted the guide that stops you from accidentally shifting into reverse a number of times now and I still get many instances where it's very difficult to locate the first gear.

Thanks for any and all help/advice

Dan 1988 245DL

(Just) Allan wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

That sure sounds like a broken mount at the tail of the transmission, variously known as a transmission mount or rear engine mount. Fortunately, it is not shockingly expensive for either the part or the labor to replace it, and confirmation is as easy as getting under the car at the back of the transmission and looking at it. It is an easy enough DIY job (best done with the aid of a floor jack or transmission jack, though), or should be under an hour labor by a professional.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

symptoms:

-Hard shifting

-Excessive movement of the shift lever

I would inspect all three mounts (the tranny mount is sometimes referred to as the rear motor mount). It's a fairly easy matter to visually inspect the mounts. New ones have perpendicular sides to the mounting surfaces. When they got old and/or have been exposed to oils and greases they turn into more of a parallelogram shape or are bulge-y.

Low fluid or bad fluid in the gear box will also cause stiff shifting, but your symptoms point towards mounts. It doesn't take much misalignment to cause hard shifting with a manual box.

Dan Harr>

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Thanks Randy and Mike I'm going to further inspect this, while just today the tech where I work inspected the car (for free) and quickly spotted a few more issues, they are as follows: Steering column u-joint linkage is ready to snap (can this be a easy DIY project)? Then both tie rods ready fall out, brake pads also worn to nearly metal contact with rotors in the front. A while back I replaced both rear calipers, rotors and pads, pads and rotors I went dealer quality this time. Calipers were rebuilt Canadian Tire - maybe Fenco brand.) Then they pointed out that another Tech from the same garage had helped me out with exhaust repairs and obviously fouled that up because there are small leaks almost at every connection, and the last pipe hangs too close to back axle/diff. Anyway does any one have any advice on tackling these jobs except the brakes that's obvious.

Thanks,

Dan

Randy G. wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

Yes- that should be easy to change. Try a wrecking yard to find a used one. I can't remember hearing of one failing except in an accident. It is a serious safety issue!

A serious safety issue again.

Change those before rotors are damaged! This, again, is a serious safety issue.

These need to be dealt with, and based on your description, I would be quite hesitant to drive the car before they were repaired.

Ouch! There are other sources for quality brake parts without going to the dealer. Kragen has the front calipers with a limited lifetime warranty for about $40 each. ALso check with FCP Groton, and other sources.

Man! And I thought my car had problems! If the pipes fit correctly you can have a muffler shop replace the clamps which should solve that ptoblem. Sometimes, the clamps some shops use are cheap and can't take the force necessary to seal the joints.

Uhh... Don't bring it over here! ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

The fault turned out to be:

  1. Degradation of the high pressure master to slave cylinder hose.
  2. Failure of the slave cylinder (leaking).
  3. Master cylinder was replaced at the same time.

I drove for 35 minutes to the mechanic, where he then got in the car, and the clutch went rock hard. I had driven that far with no symptoms except as listed above. The thing totally failed - after I arrived at the safety of the workshop!

Wow - what an easy job to change those three things too. Apart from the fluid all down my shirt that is.

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

Hi! Randy I am in the Northern part of the Americas those prices you have quoted for limited life time warranty calipers at $40.00 just can't be had here, I'm looking at cheapies at $65.00 Cdn. with warranty about

1 year (if I'm lucky) and probably only if installed by a proper garage. Otherwise warranty backs down to 3-6 months which is exactly what I decided to do this time around. TieRods were $14.00 ea. taxes in, again with about 3-6 months warranty - incidentally they were about 1/4" longer than old ones and the lock nut would not budge to offset for this 1/4" difference - I have no access to a torch (yet) so have not so far made any changes after installing them in my drive way. I can feel the toe is off but feel no shredding over the tire's tread so far. The only thing after setting the toe is finding a used steering rod U-joint and installing it. Oops, just one more little issue there appears to be a nagging intermittent vacuum leak causing the 02 sensor to call for more fuel. This has so far been very hard to locate, it has been more prominent when first early morning cold start up especially the colder day it is outside, any ideas here?

Dan

Randy G. wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

Dan,

A trick I have used successfully for loosening nuts (at least ones that are in the open, like the tie rod lock nuts) is:

Get a hefty pair of vice-grips, and clamp them down as hard as you can on the nut. This will elastically deform it so the threads bottom out in the direction you are clamping it and open up a shade opposite that direction. Spray some penetrant oil on the threads on each side if you can reach them, or on just whatever part you can access. Let it sit that way a couple minutes, move to another pair of faces on the nut and repeat. Do the last face if you can, and give it a try.

Now, if we could only get to exhaust manifold nuts to do that....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks, I since sweet-talked our frontend tech to doing this meaningful task for me and he did so on his hoist - showed me how freaking easy it was/is when it's in doors (warm and toasty) and not a recently rained on pavement (my driveway at the moment I was attempting the dirty task) he did struggle a little and did exactly what I requested and it has backfired right in my face as I have guessed incorrectly at the 1/4" difference in overall total length between old tie rod and replacement rod. Things have gone from slightly noticable to tires squealing and steering wheek feeling strange while driving. Funny thing is he was wary of this very issue but I said I could not afford an alignment right now at $90.00 and wanted to offset the tierod length by a simply by-eye method only. What the heck am I supposed to do now? I am right now as I type (in the dark) going back out under the car on my drive way and going to try and reverse what he as altered then I will try and find a cheaper place to have an alignment. He also says I have to have a 4 wheel alignment and I wonder how populer 4 wheel alignments were in the late eighties? I can't help thinking this might be a ploy t get more labor dollars for the service in general what do you all think about that?

Dan

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

Look for a more firendly shop for the alignment. The modern electronic equipment is attached to all four wheels. Some cars are adjustable front and rear, but with the 240 only the front is adjusted. Some shops charge the same one way or the other to help pay for the new boat.. err... I mean new equipment.

Dan Harr>

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

No - the 240 just takes toe-in adjustment, and only on the front. There are other more obscure adjustments, but since you didn't mess with anything related to those.... You can get it reasonably close with masking tape and a straight, lightly travelled road. Put strips of tape from sidewall to sodewall across each front tire and drive a quarter mile or so. If the inside edges are wearing faster than the outside, the tires are toed out; adjust to bring the fronts closer together. If the outside edges are worn instead, the tires are toed in too much. Adjust to spread the fronts more. Work to center the wheel as you are doing this, and after an hour or so you will be close enough. When the tape wears the same on the inner edges and outer edges, you are good to go.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks very much Mike, I do want to try this but don't I have to lift the car up each trip to adjust, I mean isn't a lot easier to spin the inner tierod with out the weight of car on it? and essentially will the tire be wanting to move in or out but resisting it while resting on the ground? Boy if this works out I'll be quite happy having not spent anything other than an hour or two of my time. I'll advance a Kudos to you Michael because it sounds very practical. Boy I could have used this type of valuable help before I got messed up with after market clutch cable - ended up costing me a whopping $575.00 Cdn. due to being 1/2" or so too short and if I had trusted even one of the 2 other mechanics who told me I needed a clutch when it was only the cable from NAPA was too short my tally for error may have gone to closer to $875.00 CDN. Those pricks will not compensate me even one dime for their error just returned my original fifty some odd dollars for the short cable. As it is the third guy I used (who I know) who was honest figured that the cable was wrong but only after beginning to take down the transmission to view the clutch which resulted in some broken parts in the shifter mechanism due to fatigue (I guess). And the shifter boot doesnt hold well any more either and I think minor exhaust fumes get through to the inner cabin. Anyway shifter parts to get shifter in to reverse that broke tacked on an additional $200.00 parts and labour, loss of car another $150.00 for 2 weeks, then about $175.00 for the actual clutch cable from Volvo including labour. So what have I done since, I've called Napa every time I knew they sold parts I required and then told them I was buying those parts somewhere else in retaliation even when the price may be higher, explaining to the sales guy about their lack of customer service regarding the fiasco I had with clutch cable.

There that's my latest fun with bad replacement parts from the aftermarket world, much like the underworld I suppose LOL

Regards,

Dan "Michael Pardee" wrote in message news:68OdneDI98HrleXenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net...

Reply to
daniel