2l Golf Oil usage

I have a 2002 VW Golf (2.00 engine) with 22000 km on the clock. It had the first service at the dealers at 12500km. Since then the car has used some 12 litres of oil. This seems abnormaly high to me. Did anybody else have a similar problem? What action should I take? The warranty expires in May 2005.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Your dealer will do a oil consumption test first before any warranty repairs. At least that how it is in the USA.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The 2 ltr MKIV golfs have a know problem of high oil consumption on some cars, but not anything like you are haing. I suggest you get the steaelr to look at it while under warrenty, and dont accept fromthem that its normal. Its not. The main known problem (apart from normal leaks) is the piston ring wear out so allowing oil to be burnt off.

Reply to
RaT

You should get your information correct instead of making a general all 2l engines comment. It was mainly only the pre 2001 engines with the engine code of AEG. 2001 and up engines have a AVH engine code. VWoA will most likely not do anything unless the oil usage is more than 1 quart in about

1200miles. As for the cause, I been told it's from the rings not seating into the bores because they were too hard of ring. The re-ring jobs I have done show no signs that the rings were worn out! Also been told it shows up more on engines that the owner changes the oil way before the first 5000mile oil change. Yes we have done a few re-ring jobs but overall with as many VW's as we service it's very few. All engines use oil... some more and some less, but VW's 2l seems to use the most and the 1.8T uses the least. Just your friendly stealr tech's opinion.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have to agree with Woodchuck on this one except the limit is 1qt per 1000 miles.the problem is very regional, or at least thats how the warranty shows it.some areas of the country haven't had any complaints.some areas have lots.may also be techs just upselling warrnty work, who knows?2 pieces of advise though,

1st, get you story straight, you are obviously basing your reply on opinions or hatred of the product. 2nd, learn to spell.

Reply to
marc o
2 comments: on my 96 Golf ABA 2.0 which I bought new it never used any oil until I gave it to a friend at 35k miles.

How hard is it to check the oil 2x/month and add if necessary? Is oil really that expensive? I mean c'mon folks! Find something else to complain about!

Reply to
Simplstupd

As I mentioned here before, our 02 Jetta has used more oil than another vehicle (over 40) I have owned...including some with ragged out old GM 350's with over

200,000 miles on the clock. I am bringing it in to dealer on Thursday, as in the past month, rate of oil usage has jumped dramatically...was 1/2 quart per 1000 miles and is now about 1 quart per 1000 miles. I followed all the recommendations regarding oil changes. While not really happy with VW's report it was "normal", I was resigned to the fact that it was just something to live with, but now I'm a bit worried by the recent jump. Car is nearing end of powertrain warranty...52000miles, so I am real worried that if this pattern continues, I'll be caught paying for a new engine.
Reply to
Tony Bad

Not the point.

I know I can check the oil, but it is a sign that something wasn't put together right. How hard was it to have your window regulators replaced? How hard was it to have your coils replaced? None of these things are "hard" to address, the issue is that they shouldn't NEED to be addressed.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I'm with you on the spelling complaint (p.s - you spelled warranty wrong (;^D)), but I agree with this poster that it isn't normal. I don't hate VW's, but if VW said they have the same issue with a lot of 2.0 liter engines, I'd accept it, ...but telling me a new car burning 3/4 quart of oil every thousand miles is "normal" is bullshit. It is corporate speak for covering one's ass, something VW has gotten good at in recent years...somewhat out of necessity...their ass has needed a lot of covering!

Reply to
Tony Bad

Replacing Window regulators and coils are in an entirely different ball game than checking your oil.

If something was not put together correctly you would have major engine failure. You would have loud noises and you would have smoke out the exhaust.

Why not revert back to the old trick of a wet and dry compression test to find out if the rings are at fault.

If I owned a 2004 VW and it used a qt every 1000 mi. I would not be happy about it but at the same time I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over adding a $1.89/qt of Castrol.

YMMV Peace Paul '89 Jetta

Reply to
Simplstupd

I know they are different, but none of them are things someone who spends $20,000 on a car should have to deal with...they are all a pain in the ass. I take the car on long trips frequently, and having to check the oil mid-trip is not something I expected. I am not sure why this is happening, but despite what you say, something was not put together right.

I haven't lost sleep over it, but not happy about it...and I'm disappointed at the way my dealer and VW addressed it when I brought it to their attention when the car was almost new. I am wondering what they will have to say later this week because the oil consumption is worsening. I have never had to add a bit of oil between changes in my 01 Eurovan, so telling me a quart every 1000 miles is "normal for modern engines" is just a stupid thing for VW to tell people.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I do agree VW did drop the ball on coils and window regulators by not addressing the issue when they saw warranty claims went trough the roof on them. But then again once the supplier made several 100,000 or more on cars it's too late to do anything about the problem other than just fix them all. Also there was a period for VW to figure why the parts failed and have the supplier redesign the parts for replacement. In some respect VW is no different than Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc for having recalls. I do thing VW has less than the others. It's sure great to know if you own a Dodge truck your wheels may fall off due to faulty ball joints!

Reply to
Woodchuck

snip

Could it be that the thinner oil, that is required in these engines, just get consumed by the engine? What oil is required for your 2.0L 5W-30 Dino oil? Once your warranty is over, and you feel brave, try some thicker synthetic in it and see what happens.

My 1983 1.8l GTi engine (in my 83 Audi 4KS) with 225K miles on it might use a quart in about 5K miles. I run Mobil 1 15W-50 I think. lol

just thinking out loud. dave (One out of many daves)

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

It could be, and I actually thought about trying just what you said. I wouldn't even be bothering with taking it into dealer now except that the amount of oil being used seems to be rising. My van runs the same thin oil, and doesn't burn any. My 79 diesel never used any oil between changes, even as it approached

300,000 miles...which is partly why I have a hard time with the "it's normal" answer I got.
Reply to
Tony Bad

Modern engines = 5W20 = thin oil rings = MPG = more engine wear = consumption.

If the consumption gets out of hand which is like 1 quart every 500 miles, they then re-ring the pistons with thicker oil seals IMO.

What happens if you use something like 10W40 or 14W40? Does it still consume?

Woodchuck probably knows if these ahha modern einstein uh engines can handle thicker Texas Tea...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yep. However 99% of all Dodge truck owners trade in their RAMS before the first year. :-) The used Dodge truck buyer usually gets hammered with all the problems.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My 2003 TDI does not use oil between 10,000 mile oil changes using

5w40 Delvac1. Maybe part of the problem is oil weight except all the engines use some sort of thin oil but just the 2L is having the problem.

Now I am hav>

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

A new car shouldn't burn oil tho!

It's always good to check it, but you shouldn't have to add unless it's leaking or burning... and if it's burning then the oil is getting past the rings and you might be damaging your catalytic converter or something.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The owner's manual oil recommendation for most recent VWs in the US is 5W-40.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

The other OEMs have thin oil rings on their vehicles too so I was averaging out.

Reply to
Peter Parker