Carbon cleaning - regular service item ?

I recently had my V70 serviced and was told that the car hadn't had a "carbon clean" in 2 years and it was time to get it done. By "carbon clean" I understand that they meant fuel injector and valve cleaning, probably by flushing a de-gumming agent through the system. At AUD$160 (about US$120 or GBP70) I thought - "ouch... next time", especially as the car seems to be running smoothly.

Does anyone else's authorised Volvo agent offer this as a regular service ? Or has mine found yet another way to extract extra cash?

Is it as simple as adding an STP/Wynns/3M product to the fuel tank, or do they do something more special (as I would hope for $160). If there IS a Volvo-approved additive that can accomplish this, what is it and where can I get it?

Or next service, should I just fork out an extra $160 ?

Chris

Reply to
Half a Bee

I think your dealer has found a cash extraction technique. Many garages have a carbon cleaning technique that is inserted into the spark plug holes and uses finely ground walnut shells to essentially grit blast the carbon off the valves and seats. Then when you start the engine the walnut shells burn up. It works, but if you don't need it, it is a waste of money.

If you aren't experiencing any bad symptoms, the Chevron product "Techron" is the best additive to keep the engine from carboning up. It will even clean up an engine that is carboned up. Chevron gas has Techron in it. Most good stores sell it as an additive.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Thanks Stephen. Since it's running well, my reaction was "do nothing".

I tend to buy only premium fuel with de-gumming agents anyway (only a dollar or two more when you fill up, so who's counting). I'm sure that the Caltex premium product here (a Chevron company, I think) contains Techron, although Shell 98 octane is the usual drink.

Chris

Stephen M. Henn>

Reply to
Chris Vernon

Chris

Who is the dealer?

Jose (Melbourne)

Reply to
Nobody

Reply to
Half a Bee

Thanks

Jose

Reply to
Nobody

Reply to
John Robertson

But as far as the catalytic converter is concerned, it's just like burning an extra quart of oil. That will make yor converter inoperative in half the time or less. It's a bogus claim either way whether or not your car has a converter.

John Roberts>

Reply to
Maze