CIS not getting fuel to fuel filter...check valve?

On an '82 model 244 with CIS, I'm not getting fuel pumped up to the fuel filter with the present filter, check valve, accumulator. I checked to make sure that the line was clear and it is.

Just for fun, I put the pump, accumulator, check valve, from a running

245 of the same year and now I'm getting fuel.

The original pump in the car works and fuel squirts out of the exit of the accumulator, but when it is hooked up in the car, it is unable to pump the fuel up to the filter.

My question is this:

Do these fuel pumps either "work or don't work" so to speak? I believe that is the case, but I'm not sure and don't wan't to go out and buy another pump just to still have the same problem. My gut feeling is that the problem is the fuel check valve, but I'm not exactly sure how to check the thing or the accumulator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Weldman

Sounds like the pump is pumping, but not putting out sufficient pressure.

The pump is supposed to put out surprisingly high pressure.

I would suspect the pump, and to test it, substitute the known good pump for the suspect one and see if it works.

If it works: voila', bad fuel pump.

Reply to
zencraps

I swapped the pump/check valve/regulator assembly from a car that runs and had plenty of pressure. I'm want to know how to tell which one of the three components is bad.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Weldman

If fuel comes out the accumulator when the line up to the engine is disconnected And if a different pump/valve/accumulator combo will pump fuel through the existing line Then the original pump is very weak - the difference is it will pump at zero pressure (disconnected) but when connected there's a regulator in the fuel distributor that holds pressure at 65 psi - a pressure that your original pump can no longer generate.

Reply to
Mike F

Almost certainly the pump, the CIS pump produces around 80 psi, there's an internal overpressure release valve but I don't think you can get to it to repair it.

Reply to
James Sweet