Fuel distributor Question (CIS), 300

It has been suggested that a leaking fuel distributor on my 1990 300CE is the probable cause of warm-starting problems. Indeed, when I removed the air cleaner, depressed the flap and looked down with a flashlight, I saw fuel at the bottom, indicating a leak. I think it should be dry down there when the car is not running.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and perhaps how to accurately determine if the fuel distributor is faulty?

Thanks!

OG

(to the list, please)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Oneguy

When you press down on that flap, you are essentially opening up the valve for fuel. However, the fuel is supposed to go to the injectors instead.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info. I thought it should be dry in there. After the car sits for more than 20 minutes, it's very hard to start again. I figured it was starved for fuel, but fuel in that chamber would indicate it's flooded, instead. Does this sound reasonable?

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Oneguy

Hot start problem? It is usually because you have a internal leak... rarely the distributor. Major leak is usually the accumulator and there is an easy way to test this... one side of the accumulator has a rubber hose... remove this and there should not be a continuous flow. If so, then it is bad... I find this usually the main problem for hot start on CIS system.

When fuel pressure is low on hot engine, fuel turn into gaseous phase... hence vapor lock. In winter or cold climate, it is not as bad... in summer, hell to start up the car.

Other possible internal fuel pressure leak is compensator valve o-ring shot on the CIS distributor itself... and last possible leak is the fuel pressure regulator o-ring on the CIS distributor itself.

Reply to
Tiger