Clunking sound from stering column on my '95 940?

I'm getting a clunking sound from my steering wheel on my 1995 940 but I can't see anything wrong with it. it happens when I turn regardless of the direction. I haven't
gotten into the dash yet to check on brackets being lose.
Has anyone come across this? My old '87 740T had 211,000 miles on it and I never heard this noise or had any problems associated with the steering column...
Any help would be appreciated.
On 10 Jun 2004 06:18:07 -0700, Don B (Don snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com) wrote:

Yes. You might have a u-joint in the steering column that lacks lubricant, and is now repeatedly seizing. Try squirting some grease in there for a few days. The problem will go away - it did for my car.
--
Bev A. Kupf
Stock fault caused by incorrect top bearing in steering column. Only cure is to replace it with the correct item. Bit fiddley to DIY.