Help tracing wires please (89 245)

According to my wiring diagram , the yellow wire coming off terminal

49a of the turn signal flasher unit splices into 3 other yellow wires, one heading to the steering column directional switch, and the other two heading to the front and rear seat belt reminder lights. The seat belt reminder light circuit seems to be causing my flasher unit to 'ghost' click so I want to disconnect those two wires at the splice. I tried tracing the wire manually from terminal 49a of the flasher unit and it gets a bit confusing as you go. Does anybody know where I will find this splice so I can avoid the trial and plunder route of puliing wires that might be the desired ones, simply because they are yellow?

Thanks

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Danny,

I'm glad to see that you're getting to the root of the problem, obviously, the differences between US and UK wirng are now becoming more apparent, but you've done well so far. Are there 3 joined yellow wires on the hazard switch? The thing must branch off somewhere, and to get your hazards working (I assume they're a legal requirement over there also), you must ultimately reconnect the flasher relay back to the hazard switch. You could try isolating the problem to one seat or another by unplugging the connections under each seat near the front of a runner, under the carpet, there could be up to three connections for each seat depending on equipment level, one is for the seat heating, one (if you've got it) will be for seat adjustments, the other will be for the seat belt thingy, I can't remember the colours of the connectors exactly, but I think the relevant one is dark blue with 3 or 4 quite small guage wires in it. I suspect that you are bit like me, in that you want everything to work, but you could always just totally disable the seatbelt warning system, the flashers and hazards are whats really important; anyway, what real use is it, folks ride around in my 740 complaining about the flashing lights and the clicking, but, not bothering to find out what it's all about, and not belting in until they're actually told.

Best wishes, TTFN Ken

Reply to
Ken Phillips (UK)

Thanks again for your help Ken.

Weird news: I have hooked all the wiring back to it's original configuration and the 'ghost' clicks are gone. In backtracking my steps, I see that the clicking went away when I ran a jumper from the flasher unit to the directional switch. The directional switch terminal was a little discolored a dark blue. The ONLY thing I can make of it at this point was that a poor connection there caused the problem? My removing and reconnecting a few times may have cleaned it sufficiently. Does this make any sense given the logic of this circuit?

Danny

Reply to
Danny