code reader for 1994 volvo 850

can anyone recommend a code reader for my 94 850 turbo? it apparently requires the OBD1 interface and I cant seem to find one that works on a volvo

Perhaps it is actually OBDII? ScanGuage claims their product is compatible with the '94 850 turbo 2.3L - see http://tinyurl.com/y5jjby They want $170 US for their product, but if it is actually a standard OBDII interface you can do better. Most auto parts chains in the US now offer free OBDII code reading, so that would be a good way to tell without putting up money.
Mike
By the way many parts chains in Canada also do it free. I had them do my 98 V70. It is OBDII. Call around.
Inno D.
Michael Pardee wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The best reader is already installed. It's a bit tedious, but:
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/EngineOBDCodes.htm
Even though this is for the 700/900, procedures for your early 850 are the same.
--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One of the better things about the 94 is that you don't need a code reader. Look under the hood, on front of the computer housing. Two connector blocks, A and B, with a wire, LED, and button. To read the engine codes, plug the wire into A2, and press the button once. Watch the flashes (3 times, pause, 2 times, pause, 4 times = 3-1-4. http://www.volvospeed.com/850slight.php
Press it again, and you get the next code if there are more than one. You can also use it to clear the service light. One good source of info is here: http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm
If you plan on keeping the car for a while and maintaining it yourself, I strongly suggest getting the excellent factory service manuals, which contain troubleshooting procedures for each code. If you have the original paperwork, there should be an order booklet for the manuals. (They used to be available via their website, but I can't find the link right now.)
(Note, the manuals and code data aren't available to owners on new models, which is why I own an Audi now.)
-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.