Compressor won't stop

Folks, my ac was not cooling so took it to a non-volvo repair shop up in the woods where we were camping. Now it cools really nice, but I've noticed that my compressor won't shut off. One of the other campers had a psi gauge so we hooked it up to the low pressure in valve and reading was: 40 down to 30 and up to 40 and down to 30 and so on (with ac at full blast), never stopping (though we only ran it 5 minutes afraid to jeopardize the comp).

Should the compressor run continuously? Is it normal? It is safe to run the aircon? using R134a. volvo 850 1996

Reply to
myvolvoprobs

I had a similar problem. I was told the AC/heater control unit i.e. the set of switches that control the AC needs to be changed or the switch [0,1,2,3,4] which controls the speed of the fan even when it is at 0, the vents would get you cold Air. So, during the winter month, I would unplug the electric connector of the accumulator to stop the AC system from working.

Changing that control unit is not easy and you will never guarantee a good replacement from a UPull it yard.

So, I am living with it. I hope there is a better solution.

--Hameed.

Reply to
Hameed