Coolant Leak near firewall

I have a odd coolant leak. It is near the back of the engine, and by the heater hoses. The link is actually coming from the engine, near some odd metal part that attaches and rises above the engine. It has two parts.

The coolant pours out, especially when the engine is revved. I have checked the hoses and valve. All are perfect.

Are you familiar with this kind of leak. How easy is it to repair? Thanks.

Larry Moss

Reply to
larry.moss

I'm not sure which odd metal part you are talking about. But if the coolant is actually coming out of an odd metal part of the motor you do have a problem. Please provide a picture or more precise description.

Reply to
Roadie

Not having any idea what year/model/engine this is, I'd venture to guess you need to have the odd metal part replaced. If it's where the leak is coming from, checking the hoses and valve are pointless.

Depending upon the age of the hoses, you might want to go ahead and replace them while you're having the odd metal part replaced.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I don't have a clear picture, but it sounds like you are describing the coolant temperature sender used in some models to control the heater fan. If so, it will have a connector for a pair of wires IIRC.

I haven't dealt with the fitting to the engine at that point; it sounds like a wicked spot to work on. I've dealt with a similar fitting in an engine that had been run with plain water in the coolant system for a while. The fitting and mating surface were badly corroded and I never got it to stop leaking altogether. The fitting had an O ring fitted into the inner surface, and replacing and even gooping it up with form-a-gasket only reduced it to a slow drip. I suspect you'd consider that an acceptable victory at this stage :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee