Cooling Fan

I have a 1999 Volvo S80. Recently, after I stopped the engine the cooling fan for the radiator kept running (over an hour until I disconnected the battery). Has anyone else had this problem and how is it solved?

Reply to
Drake

Check with the dealer. This is for the USA market. Other markets may apply. Give the dealer you VIN and they can see if the 110 recall has been done. The 110 recall is for 1999 S80's only. The radiator cooling fan will be replaced free of charge to the customer reguardless or mileage or ownership. The problem was that the cooling fan would run on as you have or fail to operate at all. If the recall has been done, then you will need to replace the cooling fan again. Top center of the rad fan is a large black connector with 2 large wires. Unplug this connector will also turn off the fan untill you can get it repaired.

BD.

Reply to
BigDick

Never had this on a Volvo, but on a Hyundai it is the temp sensor in the bottom of the radiator, or sometimes the fan relay.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

In hot weather, my V70 runs the cooling fan for quite a long time after stopping, and in cooler weather after a hard run. Also the interior fans come on for a while to remove hot humid air from the cabin. I've never had a problem with the battery running low - it seems that it's designed to operate this way.