faulty v70 engine control module

Hi I have a 2000 v70 with 60k miles with faulty engine control module. The problems began when we noticed the interior fans on the car running full tilt when we returned to it on a hot day. Then the cruise control function became intermittent,and then we got the sysyem message "system service required". The dealer plugged it in to his computer and informed me that it was reporting an internal moule fault, but that he had reset it and thought we should see how it goes as a new module is about £1000. The cruise has continued to be intermittent but at cruising speeds of about 60-70 mph the car is quite juddery and last week we got a new message " performance reduced" with the engine feeling quite sick and sluggish. I've got it booked in with the dealer and feel I know what he is going to say. Does anyone else have experience of this? I know the car is warranted for three years but surely you could reasonably expect an electronic device without any moving parts to last more than four years? I guess the point I'm trying to make is about quality, after all this car cost in excess of £30k new and is useless without a new module, I'm looking for strong arguments or evidence that I can put to the dealer in order to force Volvo to accept some level of responsibility. Surely Volvo would not suggest that four years is good enouh for this quality of car and if so, if I keep the car for another 60k miles can I expect to have to buy another module? Any comments(good or bad), suggestions or strategies that have worked in forcing a major car companies hand will be gratefully accepted and carefully considered. Thanks in advance Andrew

Reply to
Nick Roses

A friend recently had the ECU on his 4 year old BMW give trouble, and the replacement was quoted at about £1500. After much searching he found one in a scrap yard for £100.

Might be worth you ringing around.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

This isnt really viable- with the current CanBus Volvo's the ECU's are specific to each car- once they have been programmed they wont work with another.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I would be back at my dealer, or another one for that matter speaking with the manager in no uncertain terms that you expect at least 50% goodwill payment, preferably free replacement by Volvo on a part which is designed to last the life of the car !!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Get an opinion from another dealer.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

This is normal on our 01 V70,,,keeps the humidity circulating in the parjed car,

Reply to
not.crosstie

The interior fan comes on for 5 minutes at full tilt after the car has been off for 30 minutes if the A/C has been used to dry the evaporator and help stop that "A/C smell."

Your other problems sound to me like the dreaded and common Electronic Throttle Module failure, not anything to do with the Engine Control Module.

Reply to
Mike F

1) That does not sound like the main ECU, perhaps the cruise control? Perhaps this site might help, perhaps not, you can e-mail for an opinion:
2) In the bad old litigious USA Volvo gives this level of protection:
The Volvo New Car Warranty provides comprehensive coverage for four yearsor 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Additional warranties covercorrosion, seat belts, the supplemental restraint system, emission systems,genuine Volvo replacement parts and genuine Volvo accessories. Please ^^^^^^^^^^^^refer to the warranty information booklet provided in the vehicle glove boxfor details. Should you encounter any problem with your Volvo, simplycontact the nearest Volvo retailer for assistance. I believe that the USA standard for emission related parts, like the ECU, unlike the abs controller (sorry) is 10 yrs/100,000 miles...

Why should the people who brought the world GW Bush get a additional year of coverage, and 80k KM of coverage might be another argument. Best you will get from the dealer is a better price on the part and YOU pay for labor....if Volvo gets involved you might get the part free, but I will be very surprised if you get free labor.

Best of luck!

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Well, thanks very much to all who replied. I feel a bit stupid but at least I know why this car doesn't smell of wet cement like my 850. The car went into the dealer yesterday and it was the throttle module that had failed(spot on Mike), so they changed it.I have been on a 200 mile round trip today and the engine was very smooth with cruise working faultlessly. They are looking for £515 in total for the job but the service manager is going to contact Volvo to see if they are prepared to contribute. He wasn't very hopeful as it is such a common fault they actually keep the module in stock. Which brings me back to my original post, it does not seem right to me that a car of this "quality" should have this kind of expensive fault after what I consider to be a relatively short life. Lets face it you might have second thoughts about buying one if you knew you would be faced with 500 plus quid bill to replace none moving parts after 60k miles. Thanks once again to all, and if I don't get a satisfactory response from Volvo perhaps everyone should be made aware of what they consider to be good enough. Regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kent

If it is acknowledged as a common fault I'd say that strengthens your case for a contribution. Manufacturers do commonly pay out for known issues, even out of warranty. Land Rover replaced the dashboard lots of Discoverys (including my own), often well after warranty expired as it was known to be a common fault (and also glaringly obvious, so perhaps generating more corporate embarrassment).

Good luck (I'm looking forward to mine failing now!)...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I agree 100% with what Tim says here. In the USA, for example, VW is buying loads of folks new coils due to faulty ones installed in the factory--the VW dealer kept those parts in stock!

GM recalled every Saturn (a BS us only line I believe) SUV because the rear suspension breaks, yes the control are breaks!

In the USA after the dealer there is the 'zone' which is part of the dealer network run by the builder. If the dealer denies your claim ask for the name of the zone rep.

Good luck, Andy!

$1000 for a module on a 4 year old car--its Robin Hood with a 21C twist-- rob from the people and gives to the rich!

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I have to report that Volvo have agreed to contribute 50% towards the cost of the module, thus reducing my bill from £515 to £270. Perhaps not as much as I would have liked, but better than nothing. It just goes to show, it's always worth asking. Thanks to everyone Best Wishes Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kent

The Coil pack problem is well documented here in the UK- they've been failing pretty much since VAG started using them on the 4, 6 and occasionally 8 cylinder engines. Its cost them millions. It doesnt seem like the new ones are totally reliable either- these have been failing too!

The 4cylinder 20v turbo applications and V6 2.4 seem most affected.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.