cruise control in S40 cuts out

I have experienced a shut-down of the cruise control on my 2001 s40 after running for an hour or so at freezing temperatures or below. This has occurred on several occasions and can be corrected by shutting down the car and waiting five minutes or so. Start up again and the cruise works fine. I think this is due to freezing of a cable in a sheath, which then melts when the engine heat is not being reduced by wind chill at speed.

Anyone had a similar experience...is there a fix?

Reply to
Ian Gross

I don't know for sure, but Volvo cruise control actuators are normally under the dash now, attached to the gas pedal. There is a vacuum pump under the hood somewhere with a hose that goes to that acuator, chances are there's some water in that hose freezing.

Or if you have electronic throttle (no throttle cable), then there is no cruise control hardware, the fuel computer just controls the throttle actuator. If there's a problem with this system, then you should have some kind of warning light on your dash.

Reply to
Mike F

I would guess that this alsoaccounts for the s40 as weel for my 850, Acording to the manual the crouse conrol switches off if it detects that the driven wheels are slipping. it has not been cold enought to try this to se if this is happens

Reply to
Adrian