Linc. Nav. radio function

I notice with my '99 Lincoln Navigator that after shutting of the engine, the radio will continue to play, even when the key is removed, then turning off, as it should do, when the door is opened to exit. Now, I understand why it would go off after opening the door--that only makes sense. And I thought the idea of being able to continue to listen to music on the stereo with the engine off was a good one, too. But, while waiting for a bay to open at the local JiffyLube for my overdue oil change and listening to the radio, it simply shut off after around four or five minutes. I could "reactivate" the radio by turning the key to "on" and back again (without starting the engine) and I could listen for another few minutes, and the radio would go off again. This has happened before under the same circumstances.

When I talked to a tech at a Ford dealership around here, he said that there is no accessory mode, like all cars used to have, in the navigator. He went on to say that Ford probably has some sort of smart chip in the system someplace that notes the power drain and shuts the radio down after a few minutes to preserve battery power. He guessed that the sound system in the navigator, which I got to admit is pretty kickin', might draw enough watts that to run it for very long with the engine off might result in problems starting.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this in their navigator or, I would imagine, the expedition as well. If it does draw that much power, I guess there isn't much I can do, nor should I. If it doesn't, might there be a work-around whereby one could continue to listen to the sound system without it shutting down quickly? Interesting problem, though.

Reply to
wolfpuppy

IIRC your car has a battery saver relay

It should shut off after 5 min

Reply to
JohanB

No problem exists, it's working as designed. My '02 SuperDuty does this and I think the shutoff time is closer to 15 minutes.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's working properly, the wife's '04 Explorer has the same feature, and her SportTrack before that.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, it is obvious from the postings here that the sound system is working as designed. I would deduce, then, that the draw on the battery is so high that ford didn't want people running their stereo with the engine off. Doesn't seem like a stock system would be like that, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll just have to suck it up. Maybe I'll get me a battery powered getto blaster for those times when the wife is in the store and I'm not..:-0

Reply to
wolfpuppy

.....or, you could go in with her, push her buggy, and hold her pocketbook while she shops!

Be sure your shoes don't clash with the purse, though.

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Are you sure there is no 'accessory' position on the ignition switch?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

When I was talking to a ford tech at a local Lincoln dealership, he was pretty adamant that ford discontinued that mode. I'm still not sure why. My best guess is, again, that ford determined that the draw was too much on the system and set it up to time out after a few minutes. One poster here says it appears to around 15 minutes, but on my navigator, I would bet a beer that it is less than that. Also, that could be because my sound system might be different, read 'draws more'.

Many years ago, I owned a '67 volkswagon beetle. Had some issues, but a fairly good car overall. It didn't have an accessory mode either, as I recall. What I ended up doing was simply hard-wiring the radio straight to the battery power. End of problem. Of course you had to be real careful to remember to turn the radio off when you parked, but radios in that era didn't pull nearly the watts they do now, so it wasn't a huge problem. Try that now with a modern vehicle and you would probably give a computer chip a nervous breakdown and the computer brain a stroke!

Reply to
wolfpuppy

Odd. My '05 Excursion has an accessory position...insert key and turn counterclockwise, play radio and open windows to heart's content. I haven't used it enought to know if the radio goes off after 15 minutes, but it does have the "pull the key and radio stays on for a few minutes or when the door is opened, whichever comes first" mode, as did my wife's now-gone '04 Freestar.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Odd. My '05 Excursion has an accessory position...insert key and turn counterclockwise, play radio and open windows to heart's content. I haven't used it enought to know if the radio goes off after 15 minutes, but it does have the "pull the key and radio stays on for a few minutes or when the door is opened, whichever comes first" mode, as did my wife's now-gone '04 Freestar.

Well, I believe I can put this puppy to rest. Today, after arriving home from work, I decided to find out, once and for all, what is what. Here's what I discovered. Position 1--start Position 2--run (radio runs always) Position 3--off (no radio-key cannot be removed) Position 4--Lock (key can be removed and the radio will play, in my case anyway, for 10 minutes. I timed it.) Position 5--Furthest position counterclockwise. Clock comes on. Radio will play without shutting off.

This fifth position I did not know existed. I merely assumed that because the radio played when the engine was shut off, that it would continue to do so until you exited the vehicle. Evidentaly, this isn't the case. At any rate, the previous poster was right--there is, in fact, an accessory position. Never having had a vehicle that would play a radio when the engine was off confused me, I guess. Now I know where to set the key when I am waiting and listening. Thanks to all for your imputs.

Reply to
wolfpuppy