D5 Cambelt

There may be a weakness in the cambelt tensioners of the D5 engine that the service schedule doesn't address. My engine is now completely dead and requires replacement at almost $15,000 ( UK prices ) which makes the vehicle fit for scrap.

Please don't fall into the trap that I did by delaying the Cambelt change to the scheduled 96000 miles. I followed all the rules by having my car serviced on time and at Main Volvo Dealers. My mileage - 75000

Reply to
Cazemage

There are times for the timing belt change for example on a 2000 S80 the time is 7 Years or 105K miles which ever come first

Reply to
Glenn Klein

105K miles in 7 years? Why then buy a Diesel? But I agree, my Toyota Starlet got a new belt at 65.000 KM after about 9 years (I know, bit late).

Marinus

Reply to
Marinus

Some of us prefer diesels for their torque and long life! Besides the D5 is a great engine.

Meanwhile , I'm going to use the legal system to recover my costs as Volvo Customer Services (UK) won't deal with my "cambelt" failure. I'm happy to let a Judge decide what fair compensation is.

Reply to
Cazemage