240 A/C Drain Clean Out

I have an 88 245. Went on a 1000 mile trip this Labor Day and had water on the passenger side driver and rear floor. It was very humid, so I suspect the drain from the a/c condenser is plugged. What is the best way to clean it out?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
JvC

That drain tube is small and seems to get plugged with dirt and fuzz that come in via the air intake and rinses off of the A/C evaporator as the humid air condenses on the cold surface. I have to clean mine once or twice a summer and have had the same experience as you with water overflowing into the passenger side floor.

To clean the tube, remove the plastic side panel so you have access behind the radio, fan, etc. You'll see or feel a black rubber tube running from the evaporator box down to the floor right on top of the drive shaft tunnel. I find it easier to remove the tube from the floor by squeezing and gently pulling the tube end out of the floor hole. Have a rag or container ready to catch some water as the dirt plug is at the lower end. That end has a shape like lips which are supposed to open up to let the water out. They do, but not when the dirt builds up.

Work the top of the tube off the little pipe at the top of the tube so you can rinse the whole thing out with clean water. Finally, replace the tube, top pipe first.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Excellent! Thanks!

It happens that TKM formulated :

Reply to
JvC

Reply to
John Robertson

Use your vacuum cleaner on blow (or such but I prefer blow), cup the nozzle in your hand around it and in no time she free to flow again. Worked on my 240 fine. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage